Frantz: Stop excusing Vick’s behavior

‘I look forward to clearing my good name, and I respectfully ask all of you to hold your judgment until all of the facts are shown.” — Michael Vick, in a statement read by attorney Billy Martin, July 27, 2007.

Well, the facts have now been shown, Michael. And the facts show that you are a sadistic, blood-lusting sub-human being who belongs not on a football field, but in a prison yard. For a long, long time.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has suspended Vick indefinitely, and a federal judge will soon send him to prison. Sadly, neither of them has any parallel authority over the endless line of Vick apologists who continue to champion his cause. For weeks we’ve heard countless excuses and attempts to minimize the damning federal indictment against Vick and of his own guilty plea. And for weeks I have been waiting for someone to stop “sugarcoating” the story, as Vick’s father put it last week, and to answer complaints of the Vick supporters in the most direct manner possible.

I will wait no longer.

“You can’t ban him for life! Other guys get to play after beating their wives and driving drunk, which puts people in danger — and Michael only hurt dogs!”

This is one of the most often repeated shrieks of idiocy from the Vick support group, and it merits a response they don’t want to hear: Vick’s crimes are worse.

While striking any woman is terrible, it is usually a single crime committed in a moment of anger. Likewise, an isolated moment of poor judgment when starting a car after drinking can result in a DUI. But Vick’s crimes weren’t committed during a momentary lapse of control or reason. They were committed during six consecutive years of torturing and killing animals — all for his own sadistic pleasure.

“But at least he’s taking full responsibility for his actions!”

That’s a lie. Onthe day he announced that Vick would take a plea, Vick’s lawyer blamed Vick’s co-defendants for all his woes: “There were some judgment issues in terms of people he was associating with,” Martin said last Monday.

Yes, Vick and his lawyers want us to think there was already some dogfighting ring being run, and that Vick just happened along and said, “Hey what’s going on? Can I get in on that?” They want to blame the other guys for pulling Vick into it. The truth of the matter is that without Vick, Bad Newz Kennelz never would have existed. The ring started in 2001 — with Vick’s money — shortly after he signed his first pro contract. The only questionable judgment was that of the other guys who chose to hang around with a blood-thirsty quarterback.

“He deserves leniency! It’s his first offense!”

No, this is only the first time he was caught. He has been committing the same offenses repeatedly for more than six years. The fact of the matter is that if there hadn’t been a drug raid on that property, which led to the discovery of the dogfighting equipment, he’d still be torturing and killing dogs to this day.

“But Michael didn’t gamble! The plea agreement said so!”

No, the plea agreement said Vick didn’t keep any of the winnings when his dogs won. But who do you think paid the tab whenever Bad Newz dogs lost? Ookie did. That means Ookie gambled.

The apologists can sit around and come up with new ways to justify Vick’s savagery as long as they wish, but the summary of facts in Vick’s plea agreement proves one thing: The real animals at Bad Newz Kennelz were the ones that walked on two legs.

Sports personality Bob Frantz is a regular contributor to The Examiner. E-mail him at bfrantz@examiner.com.

Sound off! Voice your opinion and vote in our poll on examiNation SF: How do you feel about dogfighting and killing dogs deemed unfit to fight? What should happen to Michael Vick?

Other Sportssports

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

The City has struggled to conduct outreach in some neighborhoods as it works to expand Slow Streets — such as this section of Page Street in the Lower Haight — to underserved neighborhoods. <ins>(Jordi Molina/Special to S.F. Examiner)</ins>
SFMTA delays vote on Bayview Slow Streets, approves five others in ‘underserved’ areas

SFMTA struggles to conduct outreach in neighborhoods with lower internet access

Stern Grove Festival organizers are planning to bring back the popular summer concert series — The Isley Brothers show in 2019 is pictured — with limited audience capacity. (Ming Vong/S.F. Examiner)
Indoor shows won’t be flooding SF stages soon but Stern Grove might be back in June

While San Francisco Mayor London Breed announced that live performances may resume… Continue reading

San Francisco Giants pitcher Johnny Cueto  (47) started on Opening Day against the Colorado Rockies at Oracle Park on April 9, 2021. (Photography by Chris Victorio | Special to the S.F. Examiner).
Giants welcome fans back with strong performance by Cueto

By Ethan Kassel Special to S.F. Examiner ORACLE PARK — The first… Continue reading

James Harbor appears in court after he was arrested on charges in the July 4th shooting death of 6-year-old Jace Young on Friday, Jan. 8, 2021. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Murder case heads to trial over killing of 6-year-old Jace Young

Hearing reveals new details in ‘horrific’ Fourth of July shooting

BART passengers may see more frequent service by this fall. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
BART service increases possible as soon as September

Proposal would double weekday, daytime trains and extend system operating hours

Most Read