Oakland Raiders head coach Jack Del Rio talks with field judge Gary Cavaletto (60) and referee Bill Vinovich (52) prior to an NFL football game against the Denver Broncos, Sunday, Dec. 13, 2015, in Denver. (Joe Mahoney)

Oakland Raiders head coach Jack Del Rio talks with field judge Gary Cavaletto (60) and referee Bill Vinovich (52) prior to an NFL football game against the Denver Broncos, Sunday, Dec. 13, 2015, in Denver. (Joe Mahoney)

Del Rio’s wild gamble paid off

Jack Del Rio’s decision to go for a two-point conversion was more of a no-brainer than a head-scratcher.

It initially looked like one of the season’s strangest coaching decisions when the Raiders went for 2 following a touchdown that put them ahead by three against the Broncos in the fourth quarter Sunday.

But Del Rio really had no choice at all.

Long snapper Jon Condo had dislocated his right shoulder while recovering a fumbled punt moments earlier in the fourth quarter of the 15-12 victory. Condo’s backup, tight end Lee Smith, had a cast on his snapping hand.

When Derek Carr threw incomplete, the Broncos needed only a field goal to tie, but Brandon McManus’s hook let the Raiders off the hook minutes later. After nailing all four of his field goals in the first half, he clanked a 49-yarder into the south end zone high off the left upright.

“Things like that come up during the game,” Del Rio said, “and you made a snap judgment.”

The Broncos failed to make the Raiders pay by missing the field goal and several of Brock Osweiler’s passes — including a critical drop by ex-49er Vernon Davis. The bumbling offense ended up wasting a historically great first half by Denver’s defense, which allowed minus-12 yards.

One day later, the Raiders could be looking for a starter. Although Condo returned and finished the game, Del Rio said that tests revealed a potentially season-ending injury. A roster move could be coming later this week.

“It’s not great news coming back,” Del Rio said. “We’ll see how it goes. There’s a strong likelihood that we’ll have to make a move to bring another guy in.”

The 34-year-old Condo has been the Raiders’ long snapper since 2007 and has started 141 consecutive games. He entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent with Dallas in 2005.NFL

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Visitors read a notice hanging on the Polk Street entrance to City Hall on Thursday, March 26, 2020, shortly after the building was closed. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
City Hall reopening to the public on June 7 after long closure due to COVID-19

San Francisco will reopen City Hall to the public on June 7… Continue reading

Many famillies have supported keeping John F. Kennedy Drive in Golden Gate Park free of car traffic. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Fight over future of JFK Drive heats up

Shamann Walton compares accessibilty issues to segregation, likens street closure to ‘1950s South’

California Gov. Gavin Newsom, pictured in March, is unveiling a series of budget proposals this week. (Al Seib/Los Angeles Times/TNS)
Newsom’s school plan has billions for college savings accounts, after school programs and more

Hannah Wiley The Sacramento Bee California Gov. Gavin Newsom wants to send… Continue reading

Tara Hobson, center, principal at SF International High School, welcomes a student back on Monday, April 26, 2021. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SFUSD seniors get a chance to say goodbye to school in person

Deal to briefly return older students to school leaves many parents and teens dissatisfied

Filmmaker Will J. Zang’s four-minute hybrid documentary “The Leaf” is part of CAAMFest’s Out/Here Shorts program focusing on LGBTQ+ stories. (Courtesy Will J. Zang)
Gay Chinese filmmaker Will Zang has a dilemma in ‘The Leaf’

CAAMFest screenings reflect diverse Asian and Asian-American experiences

Most Read