Byrd joins depleted Giants to play left field

Cincinnati Reds' Marlon Byrd breaks his bat as he hits a foul ball during the second inning of a baseball game against the Los Angeles Dodgers, Thursday, Aug. 13, 2015, in Los Angeles. (Mark J. Terrill/AP)

PITTSBURGH – Marlon Byrd is expected to be the Giants’ left fielder Friday night, joining his seventh team in four years.

A day after losing out on second baseman Chase Utley, whom the Philadelphia Phillies traded to the NL West-leading Los Angeles Dodgers, the defending World Series champions made their own move to replenish an outfield that has dealt with injuries to all three starters.

San Francisco trailed the Dodgers by two games at the start of the day.

Center fielder Angel Pagan is on the 15-day disabled list with an injured right knee. Left fielder Nori Aoki came off the seven-day concussion list Thursday ahead of the series opener at Pittsburgh but right fielder Hunter Pence went on the DL with a strained left oblique.

“I’m excited,” Giants manager Bruce Bochy said. “Marlon is a real pro who knows how to play the game and, most importantly, gives us a much-needed bat. He’s going to be a good addition for us. I talked to him and he’s very excited to be coming here.”

Bochy said Byrd will bat fifth or sixth, and Nori Aoki, who came off the seven-day concussion DL, will move to right.

The 37-year-old Byrd hit .237 with 19 home runs and 42 RBIs in 96 games with the Reds. The Giants become his seventh team since 2012.

Byrd wasn’t available for comment before the trade was announced in Cincinnati. Byrd is scheduled to join the Giants on Friday in Pittsburgh.

Pence has been limited to 52 games after beginning the season on the disabled list with a broken left arm, which prevented him joining the lineup until May 16. He is hitting .275 with nine homers.

The Giants discussed a deal for Byrd last month before the non-waiver trading deadline, Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said. The talks resumed the past three days with San Francisco dealing with so many injuries.

Giants general manager Bobby Evans said the team had been looking at a number of outfield options help and the injury to Pence “sped up the process.”

“This was another opportunity to give one of our veteran players a chance to go to a contending club and help them get to the postseason,” Jocketty said. “(Giants) have had a lot of injuries in the outfield. … So he’ll get plenty of playing time there, and as we transition to playing more younger players.”

The Giants sent minor league reliever Stephen Johnson to the Reds. The 24-year-old right-hander was 3-0 with a 3.41 ERA in 44 games with Double-A Richmond.

The Reds acquired Byrd from the Phillies last Dec. 31 to fill a void in left field, but now the team is out of contention and Byrd is a pricey piece. He is earning $8 million this year and has an $8 million club option for 2016 that becomes guaranteed if he has 509 at-bats this year. He currently has 359 at-bats. He missed time with a broken left wrist after being hit by a pitch.

The Reds got cash from the Phillies to cover part of Byrd’s salary last December. They sent some of the money to the Giants as part of the deal.Cincinnati RedsMarlon ByrdMLBSan Francisco Giants

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

SF officer involved in shooting death of homeless man quit while facing discipline, landed new job in Antioch

An officer who faced discipline for needlessly escalating a confrontation that led… Continue reading

Thousands flood Mission District for youth-led George Floyd protest

As civil unrest over the killing of George Floyd continued Wednesday in… Continue reading

Vallejo police officer kills SF man after mistaking hammer for gun

A Vallejo police officer fatally shot a man suspected of looting who… Continue reading

Breed closes nearly $250M budget deficit in current fiscal year

Cuts include street repaving, firefighting hose tender trucks, childcare subsidies

DA drops charges against man seen in video of officer using knee restraint

Footage leads to calls for SF police to explicity ban move used in death of George Floyd

Most Read