As Lester waits, A's may be poised to deal Samardzija

Gregory Bull/APA's manager Bob Melvin lost slugger Brandon Moss on Monday and could see pitcher Jeff Samardzija dealt soon.

Gregory Bull/APA's manager Bob Melvin lost slugger Brandon Moss on Monday and could see pitcher Jeff Samardzija dealt soon.

SAN DIEGO — As players and teams waited for Jon Lester to make a decision and start defining the high-end pitching market, baseball's winter meetings opened Monday with Oakland jettisoning yet another All-Star.

In the first swap of the four-day session, the Athletics sent first baseman-outfielder Brandon Moss to Cleveland for minor league infielder Joey Wendle. That followed Oakland's trade last month of third baseman Josh Donaldson to Toronto.

Later in the day, reports surfaced that the A’s were closing in on a deal to send right-hander Jeff Samardzija to the Chicago White Sox. Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reported that infielder Marcus Semien could be heading to the A’s and an early candidate to start at shortstop.

Big-name moves are taking more time to percolate. Traded from Boston to Oakland last summer, Lester was sought by the Red Sox, Los Angeles Dodgers, San Francisco Giants and Chicago Cubs.

Athletics general manager Billy Beane is watching the bidding without getting personally involved from his position with the low-payroll A's.

“That one's more just for my industry curiosity as much as anything,” he said. “Like Arthur Miller being married briefly to Marilyn Monroe — that's who we are. We're the Arthur Miller in Lester's career.”

Max Scherzer and James Shields appeared content to wait for Lester to reach a deal first. And trade talks for top pitchers seemed secondary.

“Almost any move that's made has some kind of domino effect, some more pronounced than others,” said Andrew Friedman, the Dodgers' new president of baseball operations. “But obviously when you're talking about the bigger guys coming off the board, there's a more pronounced trickle-down effect.”

Lester helped Boston go from worst to first and win the 2013 World Series, and then was part of a purge as the Red Sox again dropped to last in the AL East.

“We're still optimistic that he'll be in a Red Sox uniform. There's a lot of history between the Red Sox and Jon,” Boston manager John Farrell said. “We obviously have a strong desire to bring him back. And yet, hopefully, this is coming to a little bit of a head here.”

The perennially woeful Cubs got a player back at the less pricey level, agreeing to a $20 million, two-year contract with right-hander Jason Hammel — a pitcher Chicago traded to the A's last summer. That deal was confirmed to The Associated Press by a person familiar with the negotiations who spoke on condition of anonymity because it had not been announced.

And Arizona finalized its $68.5 million, six-year contract with Yasmany Tomas, a 24-year-old Cuban defector the Diamondbacks may move from the outfield to third base.

“Initially, you've got to believe that that's a lot of money to be passing out on any player,” new Diamondbacks general manager Dave Stewart said. “And in this day and time when a player has not played here, he's not proven yet here, that makes it even a little bit uncomfortably. But once you get the right information and you've checked the right sources, it makes it a lot easier to make the move.”

Cleveland obtained the 31-year-old Moss, who hit .234 with 25 homers and 81 RBIs in 2014. He batted .268 with 21 homers in the first half of the season to earn his first All-Star selection, but a nagging hip problem cut into his production over the final months.

On Oct. 21, Moss underwent an operation on his hip. Moss said Dr. Thomas Byrd was prepared to perform microfracture surgery, but all he needed was a labrum repair and cartilage cleanup.

“It's a really difficult market to acquire offense, whether that's in free agency or the free-agent market, but we thought the deal for Brandon made sense because we felt we were getting one of the better power hitters in the game,” Indians general manager Chris Antonetti said.

As the meetings began, the doors to baseball's Hall of Fame remained shut to this year's Golden Era committee candidates.

Nine players and one executive whose primary contributions were from 1947-72 all failed to receive the 75 percent of the vote needed for election.

Dick Allen and Tony Oliva came closest, each receiving 11 of 16 votes, one shy of the 75 percent needed for election. Jim Kaat appeared on 10 ballots, Maury Wills nine and Minnie Minoso eight.

Ken Boyer, Gil Hodges, Billy Pierce and Luis Tiant each received three or fewer votes, as did the late Cincinnati Reds general manager Bob Howsam.

“The results today are a reminder that election to the Hall of Fame is incredibly difficult and the highest honor an individual can receive in baseball,” Hall of Fame chairman Jane Forbes Clark said.

Major League BaseballMLBOakland A'sOakland A's & MLBwinter meetings

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Some people are concerned that University of California, San Francisco’s expansion at its Parnassus campus could cause an undesirable increase in the number of riders on Muni’s N-Judah line.<ins></ins>
Will UCSF’s $20 million pledge to SFMTA offset traffic woes?

An even more crowded N-Judah plus increased congestion ahead cause concern

A health care worker receives one of the first COVID-19 vaccine doses at Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital on Tuesday Dec. 15, 2020. (Courtesy SFgov)
SF to open three large sites for COVID-19 vaccinations

Breed: ‘We need more doses. We are asking for more doses’

San Jose Sharks (pictured Feb. 15, 2020 vs. Minnesota Wild at Xcel Energy Center) open the season on Monday against the St. Louis Blues in St. Louis. (Tribune News Service archive)
This week in Bay Area sports

A look at the upcoming major Bay Area sports events (schedules subject… Continue reading

Tongo Eisen-Martin, a Bernal Heights resident, named San Francisco’s eighth poet laureate. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Tongo Eisen-Martin becomes San Francisco’s eighth poet laureate

Bernal Heights resident Tongo Eisen-Martin has become San Francisco’s eighth poet laureate.… Continue reading

Homeless people's tents can be seen on Golden Gate Avenue in the Tenderloin on Wednesday afternoon, Dec. 16, 2020. (Photo by Ekevara Kitpowsong/S.F. Examiner)
Statewide business tax could bring new funds to combat homelessness

San Francisco could get more than $100 million a year for housing, rental assistance, shelter beds

Most Read