Aldon Smith pleads no contest in domestic violence case

Jose Luis Villegas/The Sacramento Bee via APAldon Smith

Jose Luis Villegas/The Sacramento Bee via APAldon Smith

Former San Francisco 49ers and Oakland Raiders player Aldon Smith pleaded no contest today to two misdemeanors for a domestic violence case earlier this year, prosecutors said.

Smith, 29, entered the pleas to charges of false imprisonment and violating a court order. He was sentenced to three years of probation, 90 days in jail that can be served in a residential treatment center, 52 weeks of domestic violence counseling and 25 hours of community service, San Francisco District Attorney’s Office spokesman Alex Bastian said.

Around 8:30 p.m. on March 3, officers responded to an apartment in the 600 block of Bush Street on a report of domestic violence involving Smith that left a woman injured. Smith had left the scene before officers arrived, police said.

Investigators obtained an arrest warrant for Smith and he turned himself in days later. On March 23, he had to turn himself in to police again after violating a protective order prohibiting him from contacting the victim in the case.

A judge ordered Smith to be placed with an ankle monitor and to abstain from alcohol, but when he showed up in April to get the ankle monitor, he had a blood-alcohol content of .40, prosecutors said.

The Raiders released Smith in the days after his initial arrest. He had played for the 49ers starting in 2011 but the team released him in August 2015 following an arrest for a DUI hit-and-run in Santa Clara.

Smith’s defense attorney Josh Bentley was not immediately available for comment on the case.Aldon SmithNFLOakland RaidersSan Francisco 49ers

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Gov. Gavin Newsom has signed legislation intended to help California schools reopen. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Newsom signs $6.6 billion school reopening legislative package

By Eli Walsh Bay City News Foundation Gov. Gavin Newsom and state… Continue reading

Recology executives have acknowledged overcharging city ratepayers. (Mira Laing/2017 Special to S.F. Examiner)
Recology to repay customers $95M in overcharged garbage fees, city attorney says

San Francisco’s waste management company, Recology, has agreed to repay its customers… Continue reading

A construction worker watches a load for a crane operator at the site of the future Chinatown Muni station for the Central Subway on Tuesday, March 3, 2021. (Sebastian Miño-Bucheli / Special to the S.F. Examiner)
Major construction on Central Subway to end by March 31

SFMTA board approves renegotiated contract with new deadline, more contractor payments

(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Settlement clears path for all youth, high school sports to resume in California

John Maffei The San Diego Union-Tribune All youth and high school sports… Continue reading

Most Read