49ers release receiver Kyle Williams, corner Perrish Cox

Ed Szczepanski/USA TODAY Sports file photoReceiver Kyle Williams was with the

Ed Szczepanski/USA TODAY Sports file photoReceiver Kyle Williams was with the

The 49ers released wide receiver and return man Kyle Williams on Tuesday after three-plus seasons, while also waiving cornerback Perrish Cox.

Linebacker Nick Moody was activated from the injured reserve/designated for return list Tuesday. The rookie returned to practice Oct. 23 for the first time since Week 1, when he went on injured reserve with the designation to return after breaking his hand. Moody is a sixth-round draft pick who transitioned from playing safety.

“Decisions like these are always difficult, especially at this time of year,” 49ers general manager Trent Baalke said. “Kyle and Perrish have represented the 49ers organization very well, both on and off the field. We appreciate their dedication and contributions and wish them all the best.”

Williams’ agent, Wynn Silberman, was told of the move Tuesday by the reigning NFC champions.

“We’re looking forward to the opportunity to compete within the league somewhere this year,” Silberman said. “We’re very appreciative of the San Francisco 49ers organization for the opportunity to contribute.”

Williams missed last season’s run to the Super Bowl — a 34-31 loss to the Ravens — because of a serious knee injury but remained a key member of the team and was honored with the team’s Ed Block Courage Award.

San Francisco (6-3) is looking for more production in the passing game, and Williams had fallen on the depth chart with the return of Mario Manningham for Sunday’s 10-9 loss to the Carolina Panthers. In addition, 2012 leading wideout Michael Crabtree resumed practice last week for the first time since undergoing surgery in May for a torn right Achilles’ tendon. Coach Jim Harbaugh wouldn’t say whether Crabtree might be ready in time for Sunday’s game at New Orleans (7-2).

The 25-year-old Williams, a native of nearby San Jose, has 12 catches for 113 yards and no touchdowns this season after beginning the season as the No. 2 receiver opposite Anquan Boldin. On special teams, he had 12 punt returns for 61 yards and seven kickoff returns for 134 yards.

Williams will long be remembered for his two costly fumbles in a 20-17 overtime loss to the New York Giants in the NFC championship game following the 2011 season. That included losing a fumble on a punt return in overtime that set up Lawrence Tynes’ winning field goal. Williams — who had a concussion late in the 2011 season — immediately took responsibility for the mistake, but received death threats and was harassed on social media.NFLSan Francisco 49ers

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Cities including San Francisco, Oakland and Berkeley are calling for large grocery and drug store chains to pay employees hazard pay for working during the COVID-19 pandemic. (Shutterstock)
SF proposes $5 hazard pay law for grocery, drug store workers

San Francisco may soon join the growing number of cities requiring large… Continue reading

Hikers walk along a closed stretch of Twin Peaks Boulevard on Friday, Jan. 22, 2021. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SFMTA board to vote on future of Twin Peaks Boulevard

The proposal would keep Burnett Avenue gate closed to vehicles, open Portola Drive

Kindergarten teacher Jennifer Klein collects crayons from students in the classroom at Lupine Hill Elementary School on Monday, Nov. 9, 2020 in Calabasas, California. (Al Seib/Los Angeles Times/TNS)
Newsom, legislators strike deal to reopen California schools

Taryn Luna and John Myers Los Angeles Times Gov. Gavin Newsom and… Continue reading

A sign about proposed development of the bluff at Thornton State Beach in Daly City on Friday, Feb. 26, 2021. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Retreat center proposed at popular state beach

Daly City residents oppose construction on ocean bluffs

City supervisors are calling for an expansion of free summer programs for elementary age kids. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Supervisors urge city to provide free summer programs for all SFUSD students

San Francisco supervisors on Monday announced a proposal to expand summer programs… Continue reading

Most Read