Eight people were admitted to Sutter Delta Medical Center after a Thanksgiving dinner with what appeared to be food borne illnesses. Three have since died. (Courtesy photo)

Health officials identify bacteria that killed 3 at Thanksgiving dinner

The cause of the Antioch Thanksgiving dinner illness that sickened 25 people, three of whom died, has been determined to be a bacteria called Clostridium perfringens, according to Contra Costa County health officials.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed the bacteria in stool samples taken from people sickened after eating at the holiday event, Contra Costa Health Services officials said today.

The free meal was prepared by volunteers from the Golden Hills Community Church and served to 835 people at Antioch’s American Legion hall on Thanksgiving Day.

All of the people who got sick reported having symptoms within 24 hours of eating the meal.

“Clostridium perfringens is one of the most common food-borne illnesses in the U.S. It can be found in the human intestine without hurting us, but eating food containing large amounts of this bacteria can cause illness and in some cases death,” Dr. Louise McNitt, deputy health officer for Contra Costa Health Services, said in a statement.

Health officials were not able to determine exactly which dishes from the meal sickened people, but found that most of the people who fell ill ate turkey and mashed potatoes at about the same time during dinner, health officials said.

“Some dishes served at the event, including cooked turkey, were brought to the site after they were prepared in private homes,” said Dr. Marilyn Underwood, the county’s environmental health director.

The event lacked the proper Health Services permits to serve food to the public and county staff are working with church leaders to “ensure they understand the permitting process,” Health Services spokeswoman Victoria Balladares said.

The three people who died were identified by the county coroner’s office as Christopher Cappetti, 43, Chooi Keng Cheah, 59, and Jane Evans, 69.

All had similar “intestinal abnormalities,” according to the coroner’s office.

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Newsom orders indoor uses in gyms, salons, malls, churches, more to close

California is largely closing again amid a spike in coronavirus cases across… Continue reading

UCSF study finds young adult smokers at high risk of severe coronavirus

Roughly one in three young adults nationwide are at risk of contracting… Continue reading

Haney secures needed support to ask voters to create street cleaning department

Public Advocate proposal also advances toward ballot as anti-corruption measure

Giants, A’s to play exhibition games before start of baseball season

The San Francisco Giants and Oakland A’s announced Monday that they have… Continue reading

Riders should expect big changes when Muni rail returns in August

Reconfigured routes will mean fewer, longer trains through tunnel

Most Read