This home is called the Verdier mansion and has been home to many of San Francisco’s most prestigious homeowners since it was built in 1906.
The current owners are prominent in the world of finance, investment banking and economics.
One even received the Nobel Prize for economics in 1997. Their bi-coastal schedule has prompted them to sell the mansion and find a smaller home, easier to keep up on a part time schedule.
The original owner, Robert G. Hanford, was a businessman and mining promoter who made his fortune in railways. Hanford sold the home in 1915 and records indicate it sat empty for a number of years.
The Verdier family took over ownership in 1919 and it remained in their care through 1953. In the 100 years since it was built, the home has been a Bohemian Salon, an opium den, a brothel and a Junior Officer’s Club during World War II.
The home is expansive and antique. The lot is 102 feet by 72 feet and the home has views from Nob Hill to the Financial District, the Bay, Coit Tower and Alcatraz.
The famed Vallejo Street pedestrian steps lead to an elegant front door made of iron and glass. The reception has marble floors leading up to a marble stairway. The double doors open to a wide hallway leading to a media room and a game room with leaded glass windows overlooking the gardens.