Wharf restaurants win temporary reprieve from parking changes

Frustrated Fisherman’s Wharf restaurateurs will temporarily continue operating a triangular parking lot, but the Port of San Francisco is forging ahead with a plan to hand control of the lot to a new operator, which will increase parking fees.

Port commissioners were recently poised to approve a contract with a parking lot operator that would see Port revenue from the 286-car parking lot — which is between Taylor and Jefferson streets and The Embarcadero — more than triple to at least $97,000 per month.

But a coalition of 11 surrounding restaurants that has operated the lot since the early 1980s stalled the vote by arguing that Commission President Rodney Fong should not have participated in a Sept. 8 vote related to the bidding process because he operates a wax museum in the neighborhood.

The restaurants told commissioners that they fear the plans to increase parking rates will make it more difficult for their customers to park for free in the lot.

Last week, Port commissioners rescinded the Sept. 8 vote and cast new votes, in which Fong did not participate, authorizing staff to solicit new bids from companies interested in operating the lot.

Nick’s Lighthouse restaurant owner Jeffrey Pollack asked commissioners last week to hold a hearing with local restaurants into the Port’s plans for the parking lot, but his request was ignored.

The Port’s leasing manager, Jeffrey Bauer, told commissioners before their vote that the new operator will be required to offer some free parking to restaurant customers.

The free parking program will be broadened to benefit other businesses in the neighborhood, according to Bauer.

“We’re looking to modernize the lot,” Bauer said.
 

Bay Area NewsGovernment & PoliticsPoliticsUnder the Dome

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

San Francisco Police Chief Bill Scott leaves the scene of an officer-involved shooting at Brannan Street and Jack London Alley in the South Park area on Friday, May 7, 2021. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Chief Scott issues rare apology to man shot by SF police

Officer says he ‘did not intend for his firearm to go off’

Despite the pandemic, San Francisco has ended the fiscal year with a budget surplus. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Better than expected tax revenues leave city with $157.3M surplus for this year

As the fiscal year nears an end and Mayor London Breed prepares… Continue reading

Passengers board a BART train bound for the San Francisco Airport at Powell Street station. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
BART bumps up service restoration to August 30, offers fare discounts

Rail agency breaks pandemic ridership records, prepares to welcome more passengers

Ashley and Michelle Monterrosa hold a photo of their brother Sean Monterrosa, who was killed by a Vallejo police officer early Tuesday morning, as they are comforted at a memorial rally at the 24th Street Mission BART plaza on Friday, June 5, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
State Department of Justice to investigate Sean Monterrosa shooting by Vallejo police

Attorney General Rob Bonta steps in after Solano County DA declines case

Gov. Gavin Newsom, show here speaking at the City College of San Francisco mass vaccination site in April, faces a recall election due to anger on the right over his handling of the pandemic, among other issues. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Why Gavin Newsom’s popularity could work against him in the recall election

Top pollster: ‘We’re not seeing the Democrats engaged in this election. And that may be a problem…’

Most Read