(Shutterstock)

(Shutterstock)

Twitter blocks verified accounts from posting after hack hits high-profile users

After the Twitter accounts of Barack Obama, Joe Biden, Kanye West and Elon Musk, among other famous users, were hijacked to solicit bitcoin Wednesday, the social media service temporarily blocked verified users from posting messages.

Affected Twitter handles also included those belonging to Bill Gates, Michael Bloomberg and Jeff Bezos, as well as corporate accounts for Apple and Uber.

The accounts sent out tweets promising to double the money sent by anyone via bitcoin .

So far, the bitcoin address tweeted by the hackers has been sent over 12 Bitcoins, worth more than $110,000. It appeared that popular Bitcoin exchange Coinbase blocked its users from sending money to the address.

“We are aware of a security incident impacting accounts on Twitter,” the company tweeted. “We are investigating and taking steps to fix it. We will update everyone shortly.”

Twitter also said users may be temporarily unable to post updates or change their passwords.

Twitter shares declined 3.8% after the market closed.

In its early days as a service popular with celebrities and news outlets, Twitter was a frequent target for hackers and account takeovers were common. At one point, a group calling itself the Syrian Electronic Army was able to gain control of the accounts of then-President Obama, the New York Times, the Associated Press and the Guardian.

In 2013, Twitter added two-factor authentication, which requires users who enable that to verify their identity with a phone number.

In 2017, a contract worker in Twitter’s Trust & Safety division used his access to briefly deactivate the personal account of President Trump. After restoring Trump’s account, Twitter said it had put in place additional safeguards “to prevent this from happening again.” Trump’s account was not among those compromised in Wednesday’s attack.

Bloomberg was used in compiling this report.

By Jeff Bercovici, Los Angeles Times

Bay Area NewsCaliforniasan francisco news

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Gov. Gavin Newsom gave an update on COVID-19 cases on Thursday Nov. 3, 2020. (Examiner screenshot)
Newsom announces statewide stay-at-home order tied to availability of hospital beds

Order will take effect in Bay Area when intensive care unit capacity falls below 15 percent

Photo by Abalone Runner/ <a href="https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=74406455" target="_blank">CC BY-SA 4.0</a>
Former Newsom spokesman Nathan Ballard facing domestic violence, child abuse charges

Prominent Bay Area political strategist Nathan Ballard is facing domestic violence and… Continue reading

Construction crews work on new red bus rapid transit lanes on Van Ness Avenue on Thursday, Dec. 3, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SFMTA board scrutinizes Van Ness BRT spending

Proposed contract modification would allocate $2.6 million for pedestrian monitors

Mayor London Breed said “I need to hold myself to a higher standard” in response to criticism of a recent meal at a Napa Valley restaurant. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Breed calls criticism for French Laundry trip ‘fair’

Mayor said she regrets that actions ‘distracted’ from public health message as COVID-19 cases rise

City Administrator Naomi Kelly said Wednesday that the allegations against her husband were “based on the word of a liar.” (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
City Administrator Naomi Kelly takes leave after feds charge husband

High-ranking official under scrutiny over 2016 China trip

Most Read