Opening statements in the grim trial of a man being charged with raping, beating and robbing three women in the Mission district last year could begin this week.
Frederick Dozier Jr. could face life in prison in connection with the vicious 2011 assaults along the 24th Street corridor June 17, Nov. 18 and Dec. 8 that put the neighborhood on edge.
Jury selection was ongoing Friday, Assistant District Attorney Alex Bastian said, but opening statements could begin as early as Wednesday.
During a preliminary hearing, a police inspector said Dozier admitted to the attacks. Investigators said they matched his DNA with evidence at the crime scenes.
Each reported attack was more vicious than the last, police said. Mission residents expressed relief after Dozier’s arrest.
In the first incident, which occurred near 24th Street and South Van Ness Avenue about 2:50 a.m. June 17, the assailant reportedly covered the woman’s mouth, dragged her to a nearby driveway, and assaulted and robbed her, then fled.
The victim in the Nov. 18 attack was choked and punched before being sexually assaulted and robbed at 24th Street and Potrero Avenue about 4 a.m., authorities said.
The third victim — accosted near 24th and Fair Oaks streets about 6:20 p.m. Dec. 8 — was choked until she became unconscious, prosecutors said. The assailant reportedly punched her when she woke up, sexually assaulted her, slammed her face into the sidewalk and fled with her bag.
A tip from a citizen led to Dozier’s arrest in January, police said. He faces 24 felony counts in connection with the three attacks and remains in custody on no-bail status.
Dozier was employed as a part-time student nutrition services worker at the San Francisco Unified School District. He also worked for Green Streets, a janitorial services company.