Transit officials eye cameras to recoup lost FasTrak tolls

With FasTrak violators driving away with $7 million in unpaid tolls last year, regional transportation officials will decide today on security improvements geared at slicing that total in half.

Up for approval in the Metropolitan Transportation Commission is a $7.5 million contract authorizing the installation of a new camera system capable of snapping photos of passing automobiles’ front and rear license plates, MTC spokesman Randy Rentschler said. The contract — with New York-based TRMI Systems Integration — is worth $7.5 million.

“We look at it like this — this contract will cost $7.5 million, we lost about $7 million last year in unpaid fines and we expect to cut that number in half with the new technology,” Rentschler said. “That’s about a two-year return on our investment.”

The MTC operates seven Bay Area bridges that collect roughly $400 million in toll revenue annually, but FasTrak violators have been a persistent problem. According to the MTC’s most recent monthly study, which detailed statistics from November, more than 112,000 automobiles illegally passed through FasTrak tolls without being caught.

If the security contract is approved, implementation of the new system would be complete in about a year, Rentschler said.

Automobiles using the FasTrak lanes without transponders arefined $25 for their first offense, and $70 for ensuing infractions.

Also up for approval in today’s MTC meeting is a demonstration study that would investigate the potential of video tolling systems on Bay Area bridges, which may eliminate the need for tollbooths.

wreisman@examiner.com  

Bay Area NewsLocalTransittransportation

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Visitors read a notice hanging on the Polk Street entrance to City Hall on Thursday, March 26, 2020, shortly after the building was closed. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
City Hall reopening to the public on June 7 after long closure due to COVID-19

San Francisco will reopen City Hall to the public on June 7… Continue reading

Many famillies have supported keeping John F. Kennedy Drive in Golden Gate Park free of car traffic. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Fight over future of JFK Drive heats up

Shamann Walton compares accessibilty issues to segregation, likens street closure to ‘1950s South’

California Gov. Gavin Newsom, pictured in March, is unveiling a series of budget proposals this week. (Al Seib/Los Angeles Times/TNS)
Newsom’s school plan has billions for college savings accounts, after school programs and more

Hannah Wiley The Sacramento Bee California Gov. Gavin Newsom wants to send… Continue reading

Tara Hobson, center, principal at SF International High School, welcomes a student back on Monday, April 26, 2021. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SFUSD seniors get a chance to say goodbye to school in person

Deal to briefly return older students to school leaves many parents and teens dissatisfied

Filmmaker Will J. Zang’s four-minute hybrid documentary “The Leaf” is part of CAAMFest’s Out/Here Shorts program focusing on LGBTQ+ stories. (Courtesy Will J. Zang)
Gay Chinese filmmaker Will Zang has a dilemma in ‘The Leaf’

CAAMFest screenings reflect diverse Asian and Asian-American experiences

Most Read