Transient pleads not guilty to murder, ear-biting

A 38-year-old transient accused of the murder of a homeless man and of an ear-biting attack on another transient in Half Moon Bay in September pleaded notguilty to murder and mayhem charges Wednesday in San Mateo County Superior Court.

Brian David Ruckel, a transient and Portsmouth, Ohio, native, is being held in San Mateo County Jail without bail for the murder of 47-year-old Karl Stevens at a homeless encampment where Stevens was living, according to prosecutors.

Police arrested Ruckel on Sept. 24 in Santa Cruz.

According to Deputy District Attorney Sean Gallagher, Ruckel is believed to have beaten and possibly strangled Stevens while the two were drinking, some time between 9 a.m. on Sept. 18 and 3 a.m. on Sept. 19.

The motive for the killing remains unknown, though Gallagher said Ruckel is thought to become violent when he drinks.

Another transient and a reported traveling companion of Ruckel's who was also at the encampment, 49-year-old William Popp, found Stevens' body on Sept. 19 in a nearby field and reported it to police, according to prosecutors. Popp also reported that he had been attacked and bitten in the ear by Ruckel several hours prior to finding the body.

Popp did not witness the killing, Gallagher said.

Ruckel appeared in court this afternoon with his newly appointed attorney James Thompson and pleaded not guilty to all the charges against him. His next court appearance is scheduled for Nov. 9 to set a date for his preliminary hearing in the case.

According to Gallagher, Stevens had been living without a home in Half Moon Bay for at least a couple months before his murder, and was well known by residents and employees of local soup kitchens. Ruckel and Popp reportedly showed up at his encampment a few days prior to the murder, Gallagher said.

Ruckel faces up to 33 years to life in prison if convicted on both charges, according to Chief Deputy District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe.

— Bay City News

Bay Area NewsLocal

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

District Attorney Chesa Boudin announces charges against former SFPD Officer Christopher Samoyoa in the 2017 fatal shooting of Keita O’Neill at a press conference outside the Hall of Justice on Monday, Nov. 23, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
DA Boudin charges fired SFPD officer with manslaughter over fatal shooting

Ex-Officer Christopher Samayoa to face criminal charges in killing of Keita O’Neil

Dr. Barbara Ferrer, director of the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, during a news conference on March 10, 2020. (Myung J. Chun/Los Angeles Times/TNS)
LA County suspends outdoor dining at restaurants as coronavirus surges

By Alex Wigglesworth Los Angeles Times Los Angeles County public health officials… Continue reading

Renderings of the main entrance to upcoming Mission Bay elementary school on Owens Street. (Courtesy photo)
SFUSD offers first look at planned Mission Bay elementary school

San Francisco school officials this month unveiled the design of a planned… Continue reading

James Coleman (Courtesy Morgan McCarthy)
Young progressive set to shake up South City

The 21-year-old is the newest Councilmember for District 4

Arturo Mendez, co-curator of the Mission Arts Performance Project, invites artists of all types to participate in the free-wheeling community program. <ins>(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
Mission Arts Performance Project could be poised for a comeback

Before the pandemic, the Mission Arts Performance Project, the roving multimedia art… Continue reading

Most Read