Moments before Wednesday’s 5 p.m. deadline, a third candidate filed to run for San Francisco’s open seat on the BART Board of Directors in the November election.
That filer is Gwyneth Borden, who sits on the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency’s Board of Directors.
Borden’s decision to run also makes her perhaps the only candidate with a credible chance at challenging former San Francisco Supervisor Bevan Dufty, who is also running for a seat on the BART board.
Previously, Dufty was unchallenged by candidates with a history of raising significant funds.
Michael Petrelis, a local blogger and activist, is running for a seat on the board as well, though he has not raised significant funds in his past races.
Dufty was more recently San Francisco’s homeless czar, and Borden is the executive director of the Golden Gate Restaurant Association.
Borden said her decision to hop from Muni to BART came after it was announced another BART candidate, Lisa Feldstein, dropped out earlier this week.
While she said she completed the basic paperwork immediately, Borden said she was “literally working on my laptop with two others pulling together my candidate statement for the ballot booklet right up until nearly 5 p.m.”
Borden later said she’s worked on transportation issues for 15 years and that the BART board is an opportunity right up her alley.
Plus, she’s a BART commuter. “I know the struggle,” Borden said.
She said she would leave her post at the SFMTA board, should she win the BART race.
Previously, Feldstein told the San Francisco Examiner she dropped out because she feared she’d need a vast campaign war chest to defeat Dufty, who has strong name recognition from his decades in San Francisco politics.
When asked if Borden had that same fear, she said, “I’m going to run a full campaign.”
The seat the candidates are vying for is now occupied by BART Board of Directors President Tom Radulovich, who declined to run again for the seat.
He said it was “great” Borden is running, especially considering her recent speech defending controversial bus-only lanes on Mission Street at the SFMTA board meeting Tuesday.