Threat to Coliseum deemed not credible

Internet discussion board says dirty bombs will explode at seven stadiums

The Oakland Raiders and security authorities say an Internet threat that seven National Football League stadiums, including the home of the Silver and Black, would be hit with a dirty bomb this weekend is not credible, and fans should feel safe to go to the games.

Security is already tight at McAfee Coliseum in Oakland, where the Raiders will play the Arizona Cardinals this weekend, according to officials. More than 50,000 Raider Nation fans are expected to be in attendance. Security procedures at the stadium, which include fan pat-downs and bag searches, will remain the same. The Oakland Police Department also will continue to patrol the exterior of the stadium.

“Everything is going to remain the same,” Raiders spokesman Artie Gigantino said. “In our society today — since the tragedies of five years ago — all venues that have a large amount of people in it have increased security.”

He said specific security details could not be discussed because “it wouldn’t be increased if wetold everyone about it.”

A warning posted on an Internet discussion board Oct. 12, titled “New Attack on America Be Afraid,” said seven National Football League stadiums, in New York, Miami, Atlanta, Seattle, Houston, Oakland and Cleveland, would be attacked with dirty bombs sneaked into the country.

Jarrod Agen with the Department of Homeland Security in Washington, D.C., said a dirty bomb “is intended to do maximum damage in an open environment.”

The Homeland Security Department alerted authorities and stadium owners in those cities, as well as the NFL, of the Web message but said the threat was being viewed “with strong skepticism.” Officials at the NCAA, which oversees college athletics, said they too had been notified.

Homeland Security spokesman Russ Knocke said there was no intelligence that indicated such an attack was imminent, and he said the alert was “out of an abundance of caution.”

Officials were made aware of the Web posting Monday. The threat was timed to be carried out Sunday, marking the final day in Mecca of Ramadan, the Islamic holy month.

The bombs, according to the posting, would be delivered to the stadiums in trucks. All but one of the stadiums — Atlanta — are open-air arenas, the posting noted, adding: “Due to the open air, the radiological fallout will destroy those not killed in the initial explosion.”

Explosions would be nearly simultaneous, the posting said, with the cities specifically chosen in different time zones. The posting said al-Qaida would automatically be blamed for the attacks and predicted, “Later, through al-Jazeera, Osama bin Laden will issue a video message claiming responsibility for what he dubbed ‘America’s Hiroshima.’”

Gil Duran, press secretary for Oakland Mayor Jerry Brown, said security in Oakland is already high, and the mayor has no plans to increase patrols in direct response to the latest threat.

“There is certainly no cause for alarm,” he said. “The last thing you want to do if there is a serious threat is to alert people about exactly how you are going to respond.”

sfarooq@examiner.com AP contributed to this report.Bay Area NewsLocal

Just Posted

San Francisco supervisors are considering plans to replace trash cans — a “Renaissance” garbage can is pictured on Market Street — with pricey, unnecessary upgrades. (Kevin N. Hume/The Examiner)
San Francisco must end ridiculous and expensive quest for ‘pretty’ trash cans

SF’s unique and pricey garbage bins a dream of disgraced former Public Works director

The Hotel Whitcomb on Market Street was one of many hotels that took in homeless people as part of The City’s shelter-in-place hotel program during the pandemic.<ins> (Kevin N. Hume/The Examiner)</ins>
Closing hotels could disconnect hundreds from critical health care services

‘That baseline of humanity and dignity goes a long way’

Pachama, a Bay Area startup, is using technology to study forests and harness the carbon-consuming power of trees. (Courtesy Agustina Perretta/Pachama)
Golden Gate Park visitors may take a survey about options regarding private car access on John F. Kennedy Drive, which has been the subject of controversy during the pandemic.<ins> (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
Your chance to weigh in: Should JFK remain closed to cars?

Host of mobility improvements for Golden Gate Park proposed

Dreamforce returned to San Francisco in person this week – but with a tiny sliver of past attendance. (Courtesy Salesforce)
Dreamforce returns with hundreds on hand, down from 170,000 in the past

High hopes for a larger Salesforce conference shriveled during the summer

Most Read