Third family member dies from weekend shooting

The triple shooting that killed a father and son on Sunday night has claimed the third victim in the gruesome incident.

Matthew Bologna, 16, was taken off life support Tuesday afternoon after his family decided that “his health was not improving.”

He had been in critical condition after Sunday afternoon’s shooting in which he, his father, Tony Bologna, 49, and brother Michael Bologna, 20, were driving home from a family gathering at Tony Bologna’s sister’s house in Fairfield when the trio was fired upon about seven blocks from the family’s Excelsior district house. Tony and Michael Bologna were pronounced dead at the scene in their light blue Honda, which had rolled back into a parked car near the intersection of Congdon and Maynard streets.

The shooting started with “a dirty look” from the alleged suspect, authorities and family members said Monday. Police spokesman Sgt. Wilfred Williams declined to call the shooting road rage.

On Tuesday night, family members said they decided to take Matthew Bologna off life support.

“There was no brain activity,” said Ninozka Baughman, Tony Bologna’s sister-in-law. “The family decided that he has to be with his father and brother.”

Also Tuesday, police released a sketch of a suspect in the shooting and pictures of cars that they say are similar to the type of car in which the shooter was driving. Baughman said nothing will stop her grief until the suspect is caught.

“[The police] have got to catch this guy,” she said. “If anyone has any information at all, help this family put this past them.”

Williams said as many as three men, described as having close-cropped hair, were believed to be in the suspect vehicle. The vehicle was described as a newer-model, bluish-gray or greenish-gray Chrysler 300M with tinted windows and chrome rims.

Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call the San Francisco Police Department’s homicide detail at (415) 553-1145 or the anonymous tip line at (415) 575-4444.

Bay Area NewsLocal

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Baseball Hall of Famer Willie Mays attends an event to honor the San Francisco Giants' 2014 World Series victory on Thursday, June 4, 2015, in Washington, D.C. (Olivier Douliery/Abaca Press/TNS)
Willie Mays turns 90: San Francisco celebrates the greatest Giant

By Al Saracevic Examiner staff writer I couldn’t believe it. Willie Mays… Continue reading

Ja’Mari Oliver, center, 11, a fifth grader at Harvey Milk Civil Rights Academy, is surrounded by his classmates at a protest outside the Safeway at Church and Market streets on Wednesday, May 5, 2021 in support of him following an April 26 incident where he was falsely accused by an employee of stealing. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
School community rallies behind Black classmate stopped at Safeway

‘When you mess with one of us, you mess with all of us’

A warning notice sits under the windshield wiper of a recreational vehicle belonging to a homeless man named David as it sits parked on De Wolf Street near Alemany Boulevard on Friday, Aug. 31, 2018. A proposed SF Municipal Transportation Agency law would make it illegal for overnight parking on the side street for vehicles taller than seven feet or longer than 22 feet. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SFMTA to resume ‘poverty tows’ amid calls to make temporary ban permanent

Fines and fees hurt low-income, homeless residents, but officials say they are a necessary tool

Income from Shared Spaces will provide financial resources to the San Francisco Municipal Transporation Agency, according to its director, Jeffrey Tumlin. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SFMTA director says Shared Spaces serves transit agency’s financial interest

$10.6 million price tag for program raises concerns among transit agency’s board members

A broad coalition of tenants and housing rights organizers rally at Stanley Mosk Courthouse to protest eviction orders issued against renters Stanley Mosk Courthouse on Wednesday, Sept. 2, 2020, in Los Angeles, CA. (Irfan Khan/Los Angeles Times/TNS)
Federal judge strikes down CDC’s national moratorium on evictions

David Yaffe-Bellany, Noah Buhayar Los Angeles Times A federal judge in Washington… Continue reading

Most Read