The City makes the Olympic cut

San Francisco on Wednesday made the final list of American cities for a possible 2016 Olympics bid, but the U.S. Olympic Committee president indicated he is not necessarily optimistic that the U.S. will even bid on the games.

Peter Ueberroth announced at a news conference in Denver that San Francisco, Los Angeles and Chicago were still in contention, and that Houston and Philadelphia had been eliminated from consideration.

“Chicago and San Francisco are offering a very dramatic waterfront plan,” USOC Vice President Bob Ctvrtlik said. Los Angeles, he said, made the cut because its plan includes “the distinct advantage of built-in readiness.” Los Angeles hosted the 1984 summer games.

In 2002, San Francisco was one of two finalists for the 2012 games, but ultimately lost that bid to New York, which ended up losing the international bid to London. In May, Mayor Gavin Newsom announced that The City was once again in the running, this time for the 2016 games. Newsom has announced plans for an Olympic Village in the former Hunters Point Naval Shipyard that would house thousands of athletes, and with 49ers officials he unveiled plans last week for a new football stadium at Candlestick Point that would serve as the site of the Olympics opening and closing ceremonies, should San Francisco host the games.

Ueberroth said the USOC analyzed information collected from each city in order to make its decision. As part of that process, USOC officials visited San Francisco, and Newsom made a pitch last month to the committee in San Diego. The committee also polled 100 members of the international Olympic movement, he said, including 58 members of the International Olympic Committee and 42 others, including heads of international athletic federations.

“I would say that in this analysis, it was weighted at least four times more heavily than any other criteria,” Ueberroth said of the international opinion gleaned.

If the USOC makes a bid for the 2016 games, it will decide on the U.S. bid city in March 2007, spokesman Darryl Seibel said Tuesday.

Toward the end of the news conference, a reporter mentioned that Ueberroth didn’t seem entirely optimistic that the U.S. would make a bid. “That’s a good read,” Ueberroth said. At this point, he said, none of the three finalist cities is competitive internationally. He declined to specify what drawbacks each city had, saying he would share that information with the cities’ mayors first.

amartin@examiner.com

Bay Area NewsLocal

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Howard Golden places an order with server Dragos Pintlie at John’s Grill as indoor dining resumes on Wednesday, March 3, 2021. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Food services industry sees significant drop in employment opportunities

San Francisco’s job market has contracted sharply over the past year in… Continue reading

Dr. Vincent Matthews, superintendent of the San Francisco Unified School District, on Monday said “We truly wish we could return to in-person learning for everyone.” (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SFUSD reopening plans still leave out most secondary students

SFUSD announces April return to in-person learning after reaching contract deal with teachers

San Francisco Giants catcher Joey Bart (21) swings for a strike against the Los Angeles Dodgers at Oracle Park on August 25, 2020 in San Francisco, California. (Chris Victorio | Special to S.F. Examiner).
Up-and-coming players show glimpses of future greatness at Giants Spring Training

By Nick Zeller-Singh Thousands of baseball players across the nation have one… Continue reading

“Calder-Picasso” juxtaposes sculptures and paintings by 20th century masters Alexander Calder and Pablo Picasso at the de Young Museum. (Courtesy Gary Sexton/2021 Calder Foundation, New York/Artists Rights Society, New York)
‘Calder-Picasso’ showcases modern masters side-by-side

Artists explore empty space in representational and abstract works

The COVID-19 pandemic has prompted changes to The City's streets including Slow Streets closures to increase open space access and the Shared Spaces program, which allows businesses to use public right-of-ways for dining, retail and services. (Examiner illustration)
COVID is reshaping the streets of San Francisco

Walk down Page Street, which is closed to thru-traffic, and you might… Continue reading

Most Read