Tenderloin homicide victim identified as 55-year-old San Francisco man

A 55-year-old man who was shot and killed in a building in San Francisco's Tenderloin neighborhood early Thursday morning has been identified.

The San Francisco Medical Examiner's Office has identified the victim as San Francisco resident Ronnie Hyson.

At about 12:40 a.m. on Thursday, police and emergency crews responded to a building in the 200 block of Hyde Street near Turk Street following a report of an unresponsive man, according to police spokeswoman Officer Grace Gatpandan.

Police found Hyson and determined that he had been shot while inside the building, Gatpandan said.

Hyson was found suffering from at least one gunshot wound and died en route to San Francisco General Hospital, police said.

The suspect fled the scene prior to the arrival of police and remains at large. Police have not yet released a description of the suspect.

Anyone with information about the homicide is asked to contact police at (415) 575-4444 or to text an anonymous tip to 847411 with “SFPD” followed by the message.

Bay Area NewsCrimeCrime & CourtsHomicideRonnie HysonTenderloin

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Dave Hodges, pastor at Zide Door, the Church of Entheogenic Plants that include marijuana and psilocybin mushrooms, holds some psychedelic mushrooms inside the Oakland church on Friday, July 22, 2021. (Kevin N. Hume/The Examiner)
Psychedelic spirituality: Inside a growing Bay Area religious movement

‘They are guiding us into something ineffable’

A former inmate and a sheriff’s deputy are among the first four members chosen to serve on the newly created Sheriff’s Department Oversight Board. (Kevin N. Hume/The Examiner)
Years after fight club scandal, Sheriff’s oversight board takes shape

‘We want to promote law enforcement best practices’

More than a thousand people gathered in front of the California Capitol building to protest Gov. Gavin Newsom’s stay at home order and demand that the state re-open on May 1, 2020. (Photo by Anne Wernikoff for CalMatters)
Newsom blames ‘right-wing pundits’ for COVID surge

By Emily Hoeven CalMatters Gov. Gavin Newsom on Monday placed the blame… Continue reading

Strong California revenues will allow the state to commit to offering no-cost food to every student. (Amanda Mills/Pixnio)
How California plans to offer free daily meals to 6 million public school students

By Ali Tadayon EdSource With one in every six children facing hunger… Continue reading

Most Read