Getty Images file photo

Tenderloin apartment fire likely caused by cigarette

More than two dozen people were displaced by an apartment fire Sunday in the Tenderloin, according to the San Francisco Fire Department.

The blaze likely was caused by a cigarette dropped into a lightwell, fire officials said.

The inferno at the six-story, 40-unit apartment building at 347 Eddy St. was reported just after 8 a.m., a dispatcher said. It was brought under control at about 10:30 a.m.

The blaze left 25 people, including two children, without homes, the dispatcher said.

One person was reportedly injured in the fire, though the extent of the injuries was not immediately known.

The American Red Cross was setting up a shelter Sunday afternoon at a nearby church, spokeswoman Kathleen Maclay said.

Bay Area NewsLocalneighborhoods

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Riders should expect big changes when Muni rail returns in August

Reconfigured routes will mean fewer, longer trains through tunnel

Californians to vote on restoring voting rights of parolees

If passed, Proposition 17 would amend the California Constitution and allow parolees to vote

New audio of couple calling police on SF man bolsters racial bias claims, supe says

Pacific Heights incident spurred CAREN Act to outlaw discriminatory reports to police

SFUSD students may start the school year at home

Staff report recommends starting with distance learning in the fall, transitioning to hybrid model

Universities fight new immigration restrictions on international students in court

Local colleges are scrambling to keep international students in the country as… Continue reading

Most Read