A tenant in a Tenderloin building was arrested Tuesday afternoon after he allegedly started a fire in his room, according to police.
The fire in the 500 block of Ellis Street was reported shortly before 4:30 p.m., according to police.
Fire officials said the fire took place in a fifth-floor unit at 519 Ellis St. The Senator Hotel, a supportive housing development, is located at that address.
According to police, the fire began when a tenant lit several items in his room on fire, causing the room and building to catch fire.
Fire department spokesman Jonathan Baxter said the fire was put out by sprinklers before firefighters arrived on scene and it did not spread beyond the room where it started.
The fire caused moderate damage and was reported under control at 4:48 p.m., according to Baxter. No injuries were reported.
Police have not released the identity of the arrested tenant, described as a man in his 50s.