Teen accepts deal in aiding escape

One of two juvenile hall inmates accused of aiding the escape of an alleged murderer accepted a plea deal Wednesday that ensures he will not spend more than two years behind bars for his role in the crime.

Vanher Cho, 18, of Burlingame, pleaded no contest to aiding a prisoner’s escape in exchange for prosecutors dropping gang charges against him. He will be sentenced May 7.

Chief Deputy District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe described Cho as an unsophisticated criminal.

“Based on his sophistication level and involvement in this case, the gang allegations were appropriately dismissed,” Wagstaffe said. Cho could have faced seven years if convicted on all counts.

Prosecutors said Cho and co-defendent Martin Villa Patino, 18, helped Josue Orozco escape custody Feb. 14 by giving him a boost over a 15-foot wall. Orozco, who was awaiting his trial in May on suspicion of killing a rival gang member, then slipped through an outer perimeter fence into which someone had cut a 3-foot hole.

On Wednesday, Wagstafffe said that while Cho wasn’t the ringleader, prosecutors still believe he knew what he was doing.

“We think Mr. Orozco was a major player in organizing this and Mr. Patino was far more sophistocated than Mr. Cho and involved in the plan. But Mr. Cho wasn’t working ignorantly,” he said.

Patino and Orozco are both alleged Sureno gang members. While Orozco remains at large, the evidence against Patino will be laid out at a preliminary hearing on Wednesday. Wagstaffe called the case against him “very strong.”

Testifying against Patino was not a condition of Cho’s plea agreement. However, after Cho is sentenced next month, he will lose his Fifth Amendment rights and can be forced to testify.

Cho’s attorneys, Geritt Rutgers and Eric Hove, did not return calls by press time.

A report released last month by San Mateo County’s chief probation officer said a supervisor left Orozco, Cho and Patino unattended as they played basketball just before the escape. The supervisor was supposed to be monitoring the teens, but was instead in an office, according to the report.

tbarak@examiner.com

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

A server greets diners in a Shared Spaces outdoor dining area outside Napper Tandy’s Irish pub at 24th Street and South Van Ness Avenue in the Mission District on Wednesday, Sept. 23, 2020. San Francisco could choose to resume outdoor dining in the wake of a state decision to lift a regional stay-at-home order. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Regional coronavirus stay-at-home orders lifted as ICU capacity improves

Change in rules could allow outdoor dining to resume in San Francisco

A statue of Florence Nightingale outside the Laguna Honda Hospital is one of only two statues of women in The City. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
S.F. still falling short of goal to represent women in public art

City has few streets or public facilities not named after men

Methamphetamines (Sophia Valdes/SF Weekly)
New search launched for meth sobering center site

Pandemic put project on pause but gave health officials time to plan a better facility

Hasti Jafari Jozani quarantines at her brother's San Francisco home after obtaining several clearances to study at San Francisco State University. (Photo courtesy Siavash Jafari Jozani)
Sanctions, visas, and the pandemic: One Iranian student’s bumpy path to SF State

Changing immigration rules and travel restrictions leave some overseas students in limbo

Woody LaBounty, left, and David Gallagher started the Western Neighborhoods Project which has a Balboa Street office housing historical items and comprehensive website dedicated to the history of The City’s West side. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Outside Lands podcast delves into West side’s quirky past

History buffs Woody LaBounty and David Gallagher have been sharing fun stories about the Richmond and Sunset since 1998

Most Read