Teacher who allegedly taped girls in school bathroom quits

The Mills High School teacher accused of filming girls as they used a school bathroom has resigned.

The San Mateo Union High School District board accepted David Lista’s resignation during a closed-door meeting Thursday night, according to an attorney for the district.

The 35-year-old had been on paid administrative leave since allegations arose last month that he had stashed a camera above a bathroom stall and filmed students, storing the footage on his classroom computer.

Marlene Sacks, an attorney for the district, was tight-lipped about the board’s decision. She said the school district would not benefit from outright firing an embattled teacher.

“In general, going through the process of a formal termination of a teacher is very long and expensive,” Sacks said.

The San Mateo Union High School District had said it did not want to take action against Lista until charges were officially filed. Superintendent David Miller said he was saddened by news of the alleged tapings, saying all teachers in the district were personally hurt that the children “were betrayed that way.”

“Those kids trust us,” Miller said. “There’s no bigger letdown than that. All the teachers feel hurt by this. … I know the military feels that way when one soldier goes bad.”

A school technology coordinator stumbled upon the inappropriate images on Lista’s computer while investigating a server backup. School officials contactedpolice, who later searched Lista’s home and allegedly found hundreds of lewd images and video clips of minors on his personal computer, along with evidence he had also stashed a camera under his classroom desk so he could film students during class, prosecutors said.

None of the footage Lista had captured at the school was distributed, prosecutors said.

Police said they also seized a small amount of methamphetamine at Lista’s home.

Lista, who faces several felony and misdemeanor charges, pleaded not guilty earlier this month.

He has been instructed to steer clear from children, to stay at least 100 yards from all elementary and high schools and to use the Internet solely for job hunting or for sending e-mails to adult members of his family, prosecutors said.

A preliminary hearing has been scheduled for July 29.

maldax@examiner.com

Bay Area NewsLocal

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Police release an image a cracked windshield on a Prius that Cesar Vargas allegedly tried to carjack. Vargas, who was shot by police a short time later, can be seen in videos jumping on the windshield and pushing a Muni passenger who disembarked from a bus. (Courtesy SFPD
SFPD releases videos of deadly police shooting

Cesar Vargas killed after reports of carjacking with knife

New legislation would make sure supportive housing tenants don’t pay more than 30 percent of their income for rent.. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner))
Supportive housing tenants could get more help paying the rent

Supportive housing tenants struggling to pay rent could soon see their payments… Continue reading

Organizers of the San Francisco International Arts Festival had planned to use parts of Fort Mason including the Parade Ground, Eucalyptus Grove and Black Point Battery to host performances by about a dozen Bay Area arts groups. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Arts festival sues city over permit denial

Organizer says outdoor performances should be treated like demonstrations, religious gatherings

An oversight body for San Francisco’s mental health programs may be restructured after questions were raised about its management and lack of effectiveness. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Behavioral health oversight body looks for new start — and staff — after mismanagement

Members of an oversight body for San Francisco’s behavioral health programs said… Continue reading

The City requires the recycling or reuse of debris material removed from a construction project site. <ins>(Emma Chiang/Special to S.F. Examiner)</ins>
<ins></ins>
Permits proposed for haulers of construction debris to achieve zero-waste

San Francisco plans to tighten regulations on the disposal of construction and… Continue reading

Most Read