SWAT team arrests another suspect in Richmond gang rape

Police in Richmond have arrested a seventh person in connection with the brutal gang rape of a 15-year-old girl outside Richmond High School's homecoming dance last month.

A SWAT team from the police detective bureau took a 21-year-old man into custody at a home in the northern part of Richmond at about 7 a.m., police Lt. Mark Gagan said.

The man will be interrogated at police headquarters this morning. Gagan did not know whether the suspect had attended the high school. His name has not been released.

Police believe the suspect played an active role in the Oct. 24 attack in a secluded area of the school. A group of as many as 10 people beat and raped the girl for more than two hours while others watched, according to police.

The man is being held on $1.25 million bail, and will face charges of rape in concert, sexual battery and penetration with a foreign object, Gagan said.

“His bail reflects the severity of his crimes and the role we believe he played in this crime,” he said.

Gagan declined to specify whether more arrests are imminent, but said officers are “actively pursuing every lead.”

Police do not yet have lab results from physical evidence collected at the crime scene, Gagan said. That process usually takes several weeks and could provide evidence to support existing arrests, and potentially identify new suspects, he said.

A sixth suspect, Jose Carlos Montano, 18, was arrested Thursday and was charged Monday, Gagan said.

Four other suspects have been charged and were arraigned Thursday. They are San Pablo residents Cody Ray Smith, 15, and Ari Abdallah Morales, 16; Pinole resident Marcelles James Peter, 17; and Richmond resident Manuel Ortega, 19.

The three juveniles have been charged as adults with rape by a foreign object while acting in concert. Morales was also charged with robbery, according to the criminal complaint.

All four are also charged with enhancements that make them eligible for life in prison if convicted.

Another person was arrested but later released after the district attorney's office declined to file charges.

Bay Area Newshigh schoolLocalRichmond

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Gov. Gavin Newsom gave an update on COVID-19 cases on Thursday Nov. 3, 2020. (Examiner screenshot)
Newsom announces statewide stay-at-home order tied to availability of hospital beds

Order will take effect in Bay Area when intensive care unit capacity falls below 15 percent

Photo by Abalone Runner/ <a href="https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=74406455" target="_blank">CC BY-SA 4.0</a>
Former Newsom spokesman Nathan Ballard facing domestic violence, child abuse charges

Prominent Bay Area political strategist Nathan Ballard is facing domestic violence and… Continue reading

Construction crews work on new red bus rapid transit lanes on Van Ness Avenue on Thursday, Dec. 3, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SFMTA board scrutinizes Van Ness BRT spending

Proposed contract modification would allocate $2.6 million for pedestrian monitors

Mayor London Breed said “I need to hold myself to a higher standard” in response to criticism of a recent meal at a Napa Valley restaurant. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Breed calls criticism for French Laundry trip ‘fair’

Mayor said she regrets that actions ‘distracted’ from public health message as COVID-19 cases rise

City Administrator Naomi Kelly said Wednesday that the allegations against her husband were “based on the word of a liar.” (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
City Administrator Naomi Kelly takes leave after feds charge husband

High-ranking official under scrutiny over 2016 China trip

Most Read