Suspicious bags prompt separate security alerts

Police responded to two separate reports Tuesday of suspicious packages in The City, but both situations were defused without incident.

Tuesday’s incidents came on the heels of a security scare prompted by an an abandoned bag on a Muni bus at the Transbay Terminal last week.

The first report came in around 8:30 a.m., when a security guard noticed an unattended briefcase in the garage of the State Building on 350 McAllister St., according to California Highway Patrol Officer Shawn Chase. Police closed off surrounding streets and the San Francisco Police Department’s bomb squad X-rayed the bag, which turned out to be empty. The area was open back up the public at 11:30 a.m., Chase said. Buildings in the area were not evacuated.

Authorities were then called to the scene of another suspicious package after witnesses saw a man put a shopping bag in a newspaper rack at the intersection of Post and Kearny streets around 1 p.m.

Police shut down several city blocks and evacuated a number of buildings surrounding the area, and Muni buses were diverted. The threat was cleared at 2:20 p.m., according to Sgt. Wilfred Williams of the San Francisco Police Department.

On Sept. 28 streets were shut down streets around the Transbay Terminal in downtown San Francisco when a 5-Fulton Muni driver found an abandoned duffel bag on her bus around 10:45 a.m. Street closures snarled traffic in the downtown area and buildings in the area were evacuated.

The bag turned out to contain nothing more than women’s clothing, including a leather jacket, undergarments and leotards, according to the CHP.

wreisman@sfexaminer.com

Bay City News Service contributed to this report

Bay Area NewsLocalTransittransportation

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

SFUSD educators hit with layoff warning

Superintendent says district faces budget shortfall, depleted reserves

SF to provide $350K to help struggling nonprofit care for youth in crisis

City stopped sending clients to Edgewood Center after sexual abuse allegations emerged

Becerra sues Trump administration over Delta water diversions

California Attorney General Xavier Becerra sued President Donald Trump’s administration in federal… Continue reading

CalTrans settles lawsuit over homeless sweeps on state property

Settlement requires agency to give warning before taking property and assist with retrieval

Plan to relocate Bayview charter school meets with resistance

School district wants to move KIPP elementary to vacant Treasure Island school site

Most Read