Suspected serial auto burglar arrested amid widespread car break-ins citywide

Suspected serial auto burglar arrested amid widespread car break-ins citywide

A suspected serial auto burglar was arrested last week in connection with 22 auto burglaries in San Francisco and charged with 26 felonies, 10 misdemeanors and one infraction, authorities said.

The suspected auto burglar, 24-year-old Sean Gibson, is also believed to have stolen two guns from separate vehicles in The City, police said.

The arrest comes after several guns, including the one believed to have been used to kill Kathryn Steinle on Pier 14 in July, were stolen from cars in San Francisco.

“We have an auto burglary problem in San Francisco,” police Chief Greg Suhr told reporters earlier this month when a California Highway Patrol officer’s personal firearm was stolen from his car. The weapon has since been recovered.

The most recent crime data, released by police in July, shows San Francisco has experienced a 45 percent jump in auto burglary when compared to last year. In that month, 14,187 auto burglaries were reported. In July 2014, 9,757 were reported.

Police have not released crime stats from August or September.

Alex Bastian, a spokesperson for the District Attorney’s Office, said Gibson’s arrest should in theory help reduce crime on the streets.

“The SFPD officers working this case did an excellent job collecting evidence,” Bastian said. “Certain offenders are disproportionately responsible for numerous criminal acts, so when you get them off the street it really goes a long way in reducing crime.”

Gibson, a San Francisco resident, pleaded not guilty to the charges against him, which are mostly allegations of auto burglary and possessing stolen property.

Gibson allegedly vandalized cars in the South of Market neighborhood — part of the Police Department’s Southern district where auto burglaries jumped 47 percent between July 2014 and July 2015. He also allegedly vandalized some cars along The Embarcadero and other locations in The City.

Gibson was arrested Oct. 20 at his home on a search warrant executed by Southern Station officers and investigators from the Major Crimes Unit after a several-week investigation into the auto burglaries.

Police are now investigating whether or not the two stolen weapons he allegedly stole from cars, found in his home, were used in any assaults.

The District Attorney’s Office said Gibson has been charged with 18 counts of auto burglary, 11 counts of possession of stolen property, two counts of possession of burglary tools, one count of vandalism, one count of driving with a suspended license, one count of altering or damaging part of a vehicle, one count of resisting arrest, one count of possessing a large capacity magazine and one allegation of an infraction for failure to display a license plate.

He is being held at County Jail on $523,000 bail and is scheduled to appear in court again Nov. 5, prosecutors said.

Crime

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
City College union deal staves off layoffs, class cuts

One year agreement allows community college time to improve its finances

A Homeless Outreach Team member speaks with homeless people along Jones Street in the Tenderloin on Wednesday, May 6, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Breed proposes another street outreach team to divert calls away from police

San Francisco would launch a new street outreach team to respond to… Continue reading

Chelsea Hung, who owns Washington Bakery and Restaurant in Chinatown with her mother, said the restaurant is only making about 30 percent of pre-pandemic revenues. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Chinatown’s slow recovery has business owners fearing for the future

Lack of outside visitors threatens to push neighborhood into ‘downward spiral’

A worker sets up irrigation lines to water almond tree rootstocks along Road 36 in Tulare, Calif. (Gary Coronado/Los Angeles Times/TNS)
Gov. Gavin Newsom extends drought emergency to 41 California counties

Faith E. Pinho Los Angeles Times In a stark indication of California’s… Continue reading

Gov. Gavin Newsom announced a new stimulus plan on Monday. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner file photo)
More Californians would get new $600 stimulus checks from the state under Newsom plan

Sophia Bollag The Sacramento Bee Two-thirds of Californians would get an extra… Continue reading

Most Read