Suspect in toll plaza shootings pleads not guilty

 

A man charged in the double murder of his ex-girlfriend and her new boyfriend at the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge toll plaza has pleaded not guilty.

Forty-six-year-old Nathaniel Burris's plea on Friday came three months after he told a Contra Costa County judge that he wanted to plead guilty. The judge refused to accept the plea at the time.

Burris has been charged with two counts of murder along with special circumstances in the Aug. 11 shootings of 51-year-old Deborah Ross and 58-year-old Ersie Everette III.

Authorities say Burris set a trap for the pair by slashing Everette's tires in the toll plaza parking lot. When Everette went to the truck to call for road service, Burris allegedly shot him, then went to Ross's toll booth and shot her.

Prosecutors have not yet decided whether to seek the death penalty.

Bay Area NewsLocalNathaniel BurrisShooting

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Agnes Liang, who will be a senior at Mission High School, is running for one of the two student representative seats on the San Francisco Unified School District Board of Education. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Turbulent year on school board leaves student delegates undeterred

Around this time last year, Shavonne Hines-Foster and Kathya Correa Almanza were… Continue reading

San Francisco police investigated the scene of a police shooting near Varney Place and Third Street on May 7. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SFPD shooting may prompt new body camera rules for plainclothes cops

Police chief says incident ‘should not have happened’

Governor Gavin Newsom speaks at a news conference about a $12 billion package bolstering the state’s response to the homelessness crisis at the Kearney Vista Apartments on May 11, 2021 in San Diego, California. (K.C. Alfred/The San Diego Union-Tribune/TNS)
Newsom promises sweeping change in California’s $267-billion budget

John Myers Los Angeles Times California would embark on the most ambitious… Continue reading

Despite the pandemic, San Francisco has ended the fiscal year with a budget surplus. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Better than expected tax revenues leave city with $157.3M surplus for this year

As the fiscal year nears an end and Mayor London Breed prepares… Continue reading

Passengers board a BART train bound for the San Francisco Airport at Powell Street station. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
BART bumps up service restoration to August 30, offers fare discounts

Rail agency breaks pandemic ridership records, prepares to welcome more passengers

Most Read