Suspect arrested in triple shooting that killed dad, sons

Police made an arrest Wednesday in Sunday’s triple slaying and were also investigating whether the suspect was involved in another shooting earlier Sunday.

Police said suspected gang member Edwin Ramos, 21, was arrested after a search warrant was served at an El Sobrante residence. They said the warrant resulted from a combination of police leads and tips.

“This arrest was possible because the community came forward,” San Francisco police Chief Heather Fong said Wednesday at a news conference.

Police also impounded a Chrysler 300 that they say was involved in the shooting.

Tony Bologna, 48, and two of his sons, Michael, 20, and Matthew, 16, were driving home Sunday from a family gathering in Fairfield when they were shot just blocks from their home in the Excelsior district.

Investigators do not believe the killings stemmed from a road-rage incident, according to Lt. Mike Stasko, who heads the San Francisco police homicide unit.

“There wasn’t enough time for this to develop into a road-rage incident,” he said.

Tony Bologna and his sons had been at a barbecue at the house of Lorraine Kennedy, his sister. He left the gathering with his sons so he could prepare for his job at Draeger’s Market in San Mateo, where he worked as a night shift manager, family members said.

Police say the slayings occurred after Tony Bologna’s Honda Civic blocked a Chrysler 300 carrying up to three people at the narrow intersection of Maynard and Congdon streets at about 3:10 p.m.

The Chrysler’s driver stared down Tony Bologna, who then backed up for the suspect vehicle. Instead of moving along, police say, someone opened fire, hitting all three victims.

Tony and Michael Bologna were pronounced dead on the scene. Matthew Bologna was rushed to San Francisco General Hospital. On Tuesday evening, family members decided to take him off life support.

Tony Bologna, an Excelsior district native, had a wife, daughter and a third son.

“This is senseless,” Kennedy said. “We had a real family, a real family. They took our family away.”

Police said the killings were “random” in that the victims did not know anyone in the Chrysler.

Homicide Inspector Brian Delahunty said the Police Department is still pursuing a lead that indicates the suspect was involved in another shooting earlier Sunday. The Chrysler matches the description of a vehicle used in an earlier shooting on Cesar Chavez Avenue, Stasko said.

Ramos, who is being held on three counts of homicide, remains in custody. He has not yet been charged in the slayings.

The killings moved San Francisco’s homicide total to 51 for 2008. In 2007, The City saw a decade-high 98 homicides.

bbegin@sfexaminer.com

Bay Area NewsCrimeCrime & CourtsLocal

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Crowded neighborhoods left out of Slow Streets

Tenderloin, SoMa seen as bad fit for car-free program

School board backs continued distance learning for fall

After a lengthy discussion Tuesday, the Board of Education is backing plans… Continue reading

City attorney seeks to block contractor in Nuru scandal from obtaining government contracts

City Attorney Dennis Herrera has moved to prohibit AzulWorks, Inc. and its… Continue reading

Supes approve $2.1M settlement over sewage spills at SF’s Hall of Justice jail

San Francisco has tentatively agreed to pay out a total of $2.1… Continue reading

US backs down in fight with Harvard, MIT over student visas

The U.S. backed down from a high-profile confrontation with two elite universities… Continue reading

Most Read