Students injured in crash released from hospital

The remaining three students injured last week at Ralston Middle School in Belmont when an SUV careened into more than a dozen children returned home Tuesday after being released from Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital.

Thirteen students were injured when 70-year-old Mauro Yan lost control of his Honda Pilot and plowed into a group of children just after school let out May 2.

The three students had been in the intensive care unit since the accident, being treated for a lacerated kidney and a broken ankle, a fractured pelvis and a head wound that required approximately 30 stitches, according to hospital spokesman Todd Kleinheinz.

Belmont police and the California Highway Patrol are still investigating the crash to determine whether any mechanical failures with the vehicle contributed to it. Belmont police Sgt. Patrick Halloran said they do not believe drugs or alcohol played a role in the crash and DeputyDistrict Attorney Karen Guidotti said no charges had been filed against Yan.

jgoldman@examiner.com

Bay Area NewsLocal

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

FBI arrests alleged gang member in killing of Mission teen

Both suspect and victim had worked on anti-gun violence campaigns

Tenderloin residents rally to demand return of 27-Bryant and 31-Balboa buses

Transit-dependent riders in the neighborhood say they’re cut off from essential services

Sergeant cleared in shooting of man on meth ‘rampage’

A San Francisco police sergeant has been cleared of criminal wrongdoing for… Continue reading

Protected bike lane, safety measures proposed for dangerous stretch of Folsom Street

Folsom Street between Second and Fifth streets has been the site of… Continue reading

Giants to host first leg of Bay Bridge Series

Among the changes made to the Major League Baseball schedule this year… Continue reading

Most Read