State extends law helping needy kids

San Mateo County families who earn too much to qualify for government health care assistance will be eligible to receive county medical help for the next half-decade, under a bill recently signed by the governor.

A 2003 law by state Sen. Joe Simitian, D-Palo Alto, has allowed 200 extra San Mateo County kids to receive health care through government assistance each year since. That law was set toexpire in January, however, until Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed Senate Bill 1304 last week, allowing the program to continue through 2014.

Prior to 2003, most Peninsula residents were denied state help because their salaries were higher than the cutoff of 75 percent of the state’s median income, even though the cost of living there balanced out their earnings, Simitian said. As a result, 15 percent of the county’s $18.8 million in annual health care assistance funds were returned to the state.

The new law does not allocate more funds to the county, but rather allows the region to use its money on families in need, even if they do not meet state qualifications for health care subsidies.

In addition to the 200 extra children from low-income backgrounds who will receive health care from the county in coming years, more families will receive additional hours of medical assistance. The program has allowed for an 8 percent increase in the number of kids who can receive care at one of the county’s 22 contracted facilities, Dillman said.

The program also increases the amount children can receive compared to average California families because the cost to provide care is higher on the Peninsula, said Laura Walker, CEO of the county’s Child Care Coordinating Council.

mrosenberg@sfexaminer.com

Bay Area NewsLocal

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Under stay-at-home orders effective today in San Francisco, outdoor dining is not allowed, and there are new limits regarding the number of people that can be indoors at essential businesses. <ins> (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
Bay Area counties to shut down outdoor dining, non-essential businesses

Regional stay-at-home order to take effect Sunday, sooner than statewide order announced Thursday

Former Golden State Warriors’ Kevin Durant received his 2017-18 Championship ring at Oracle Arena in Oakland on Oct. 16, 2018. Durant, now playing with the Brooklyn Nets, will play against his former team at Chase Center in February. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Kevin Durant to face former teammates at Chase Center in February

Schedule released Friday calls for Warriors to play Christmas and New Year’s Day games

Photo by Abalone Runner/ <a href="https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=74406455" target="_blank">CC BY-SA 4.0</a>
Former Newsom spokesman Nathan Ballard facing domestic violence, child abuse charges

Prominent Bay Area political strategist Nathan Ballard is facing domestic violence and… Continue reading

Construction crews work on new red bus rapid transit lanes on Van Ness Avenue on Thursday, Dec. 3, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SFMTA board scrutinizes Van Ness BRT spending

Proposed contract modification would allocate $2.6 million for pedestrian monitors

Mayor London Breed said “I need to hold myself to a higher standard” in response to criticism of a recent meal at a Napa Valley restaurant. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Breed calls criticism for French Laundry trip ‘fair’

Mayor said she regrets that actions ‘distracted’ from public health message as COVID-19 cases rise

Most Read