Sinbad’s owners file for bankruptcy ahead of eviction

Sinbad's restaurant. Mike Koozmin/S.F. Examiner

The owners of Sinbad’s Restaurant at Pier 2 have filed for bankruptcy ahead of Wednesday’s planned eviction, according to Port of San Francisco officials.

The longtime waterfront restaurant had previously agreed to vacate its site on The Embarcadero in March to make way for a new $65 million ferry terminal, but the owners instead sued to remain at the pier until next year. A jury ruled in July that Sinbad’s could no longer occupy the premises and a judge gave the restaurant until the end of September to remove its property.

With that deadline passed, the Sheriff’s Department planned to evict the restaurant Wednesday.

However, to the dismay of the Port, the owners late Tuesday filed for bankruptcy in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, canceling the eviction, said Renee Dunn Martin, a spokeswoman for the Port of San Francisco.

“This bankruptcy filing is yet another legal maneuver by the owners of Sinbad’s to delay the return of the property to the Port,” she said in a statement.

The Downtown San Francisco Ferry Terminal Expansion project includes the construction of two new ferry gates, pedestrian improvements and a new public plaza.

Just Posted

Faced with safety fears in Chinese community, Breed pins blame on Board of Supervisors

San Francisco’s Chinese community is deeply worried about crime, and Mayor London… Continue reading

Jurors replaced and deliberations set to begin again in Ghost Ship trial

Three jurors have been dismissed Monday in the trial of Ghost Ship… Continue reading

Suspect in Embarcadero attack surrenders to authorities on new allegations

Austin James Vincent has landed at the center of a battle over plans to build a homeless shelter

Rocks off! Rolling Stones sound great in Santa Clara

No Filter tour serves up classic hits

Gov. Gavin Newsom signs bill setting new standards for police use of force

Here’s how ‘Stephon Clark’s law’ sets California rules

Most Read