SFPD sergeant on duty amid allegations of sexually harassing, threatening black suspects

The San Francisco police sergeant who was accused in federal court of using racial slurs, in addition to sexually harassing and threatening suspects, remains on duty while the department investigates the allegations against him, a police captain said.

Earlier this month, 14 defendants who are facing federal charges after they were busted during a two-year Tenderloin drug sting accused several officers of calling black women “black bitches,” referring to black men as “boys” and using the N-word while on patrol in the same neighborhood.

All of the defendants arrested during the sting are black.

Last week, the police department launched an internal investigation into the allegations.

One Tenderloin Station officer — Sgt. Shaughn Ryan — was singled out as “a particular problem” by defense attorneys for his alleged abusive behavior toward some of the 37 defendants indicted on drug-related charges during Operation Safe Schools. That action was a joint operation of the Drug Enforcement Administration and San Francisco Police Department in 2014.

Tenderloin Station Capt. Teresa Ewins declined to comment on the allegations but said Ryan is on duty. She would not clarify if that meant in a public contact position.

The allegations against Ryan are the most serious to be levied against a police officer in The City since the text message scandal broke earlier this year. In that case, within less than a week of the revelation that initially implicated four officers, those officers were moved to nonpublic contact-positions pending a department investigation.

Public Defender Jeff Adachi said the latest allegations were “particularly painful to read” and called for the officers implicated to be taken off the streets pending investigation.

“The department was only recently made aware of this via the filings in federal court,” said Sgt. Michael Andraychak, police spokesperson, when asked Tuesday if Ryan was placed in a nonpublic contact-position or on leave.

“The information has been turned over to the Internal Affairs Division for follow up and investigation as appropriate,” he said.

In 2013, Ryan allegedly suggested to another police officer that he handcuff two female suspects, drive them to Candlestick “and put a bullet in their heads,” according to sworn statements. In a 2012 incident he allegedly threatened to shoot another suspect in the head.

In 2008, he allegedly told a woman she could get out of trouble by performing sex acts on him.

Ryan is a veteran of the department who was awarded the Silver Medal of Valor in 2003 and Bronze Medal of Valor in 2012.

The other officers named are Darren Nocetti, who allegedly put a man in a chokehold until his eyes turned red, an officer R. Crosby who allegedly told a defendant he wanted to handcuff her to a bed and have sex with her and other officers identified only by last name.

Crime

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Basketball (Shutterstock)
SI alum Begovich gets his moment, but Stanford falls on Senior Day

MAPLES PAVILION — Generally speaking, Stanford’s home finale on Saturday afternoon, a… Continue reading

U.S. Attorney David Anderson announces federal firearms charges against two men for their roles in a March 2019 shooting outside the Fillmore Heritage Center in a news conference alongside SFPD staff at the Phillip Burton Federal Building on Thursday, Jan. 9, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Departing U.S. attorney predicts corruption probe will continue

David Anderson shook up City Hall as top federal prosecutor

Board of Supervisors President Shamann Walton, a former school board member, has been asked to help secure an agreement between the school district and teacher’s union. <ins>(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
 <ins></ins>
Supervisor Walton tapped to mediate teacher contract talks

District and union at odds over hours in-person students should be in the classroom

California is set to receive supplies of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, which is still under review by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. (Courtesy photo)
California could receive 380K doses of new J&J COVID vaccine next week

California could receive 380,300 doses of the new Johnson & Johnson vaccine… Continue reading

Disability advocates protested outside the home of San Francisco Health Officer Tomas Aragon. (Courtesy Brooke Anderson)
Vaccine rollout plan for people with disabilities remains deeply flawed

On February 13, disability activists paid a visit to the house of… Continue reading

Most Read