SFMTA may change course with development of taxi hailing app

Mike Koozmin/The S.f. Examiner File photoA proposed e-hailing app for all taxis in San Francisco may no longer be developed after an independent company is already providing a similar service.

Mike Koozmin/The S.f. Examiner File photoA proposed e-hailing app for all taxis in San Francisco may no longer be developed after an independent company is already providing a similar service.

A city-run e-hailing app in the works for all taxis in San Francisco may no longer roll out, as an independent company is already providing the service and The City's transit agency has shifted focus to specific data provided by the software that enables the app.

The app was initially scheduled to launch in April, but the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency's efforts are now on streamlining data from three payment companies that work with San Francisco taxis through the RideIntegrity software.

Receiving data, like location and in-service times that can be used for regulating the industry, at first seemed like an “accidental benefit” during the development of the app, said Chris Hayashi, the agency's deputy director of taxis and accessible services division. But Flywheel, a third-party company, has already developed an app to hail taxis that works similar to the industry's competition — app-based ride services including Uber, Lyft and Sidecar.

Whether the SFMTA's e-hailing app will come to fruition is to be determined, said Hayashi, who will give an update at today's board of directors meeting.

Flywheel reported that drivers from every cab company use its app and it provides 20 to 30 percent of orders for some of the largest fleets. A customer gets a taxi within three minutes on average of hailing, according to Flywheel.

“Flywheel has essentially reached the finish line,” Hayashi said. “And so while we can continue to move our project forward, what I don't want the message to be is there's somehow not going to be hailing for taxis in San Francisco because it already exists and seems to be doing just fine.”

The SFMTA board previously voted down an option to install devices on all taxis that would feed GPS information to the future e-hailing app, cutting $4 million in costs and slicing the price tag to $2.1 million over five years.

But the data from payment companies currently has a 20-second refresh rate, “simply not adequate to support e-hailing,” which needs closer to a six-second refresh rate, Hayashi said. Currently, 70 percent of taxis have data integrated with RideIntegrity because they use the credit payment company Wireless Edge. The remaining 30 percent that use the credit companies Creative Mobile Technology and Verifone are currently being processed.

The SFMTA doesn't have a formal partnership with Flywheel, but the company has its marketing materials on Muni buses.

Bay Area Newse-hailing appSan Francisco Municipal Transportation AgencytaxisTransittransportation

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Passengers ride the 14-Mission Muni bus on Friday, March 12, 2021. (Jordi Molina/Special to S.F. Examiner)
Transit officials fear Free Muni pilot could hurt already-strained service levels

Supporters say fare cuts could increase ridership, help low-income residents

The vacant property at 730 Stanyan St. in the Haight currently houses a safe sleeping site for the homeless. <ins>(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
Affordable housing project on former McDonald’s site delayed as city adds units

The start of construction on an affordable housing project on the site… Continue reading

Visitors read a notice hanging on the Polk Street entrance to City Hall on Thursday, March 26, 2020, shortly after the building was closed. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
City Hall reopening to the public on June 7 after long closure due to COVID-19

San Francisco will reopen City Hall to the public on June 7… Continue reading

Historic streetcars are undergoing testing on The Embarcadero to prepare for their return to service on May 15.<ins></ins>
What to expect for Muni Metro’s relaunch on May 15

Significant service restoration includes downtown subway tunnels and historic streetcars

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo (10) and running back Raheem Mostert (31) celebrate after Mostert scores his fourth rushing touchdown in the third quarter as the 49ers take on the Green Bay Packers in the NFC Championship game at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif. on Sunday, Jan. 19, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
49ers on prime-time TV five times in 2021

Usually a team that finishes in last place and won only six… Continue reading

Most Read