SFFD chief calls for firefighter to lose his job

Alleged violent incident in station house now goes before Fire Commission

San Francisco Fire Chief Joanne Hayes-White is calling for the termination of a firefighter who allegedly beat another firefighter while the two were on duty.

Hayes-White said on Friday she had filed charges with the Fire Commission recommending that Bela Carreira, a five-year department veteran, be terminated for allegedly beating Joel Soto on May 20, then trying to cover it up. The department's administration learned of the incident June 15.

Hayes-White also filed charges recommending a 90-day suspension for acting Lt. Tom Masterson, a 27-year veteran who was in charge of Station 32 in Bernal Heights on May 20, for initially reporting the injuries as having resulted from a fall. Masterson retired on June 28, five days after Hayes-White filed the charges.

In addition to Carreira and Masterson, Hayes-White said she will hand down disciplinary charges against three other department members who were on duty at Station 32 the night of May 20, when what she described as “heated verbal exchanges” between Carreira and Soto escalated into a fight that seriously injured first-year firefighter Soto.

Hayes-White said Soto's injuries consist of facial fractures and include injuries to his cheek, a contusion to the back of his head, swelling in both ears and one or more cuts around his mouth that required stitches. Soto has been with the departmentsince September, and is in his year-long probationary period. He is on medical leave due to his injuries but will return to work when he is able, she said.

When word of the incident got to Capt. John Forbes, who normally heads Station 32, he reported it up the chain of command June 15, Hayes-White said.

When it meets on Thursday, the Fire Commission will acknowledge the charges against Masterson and Carreira. Commission president Paul Conroy said the commission would not pursue any action against Masterson because they have no jurisdiction over him now that he's retired. “We could, if we wanted, investigate the matter, but I think the story will come out in the hearing for Mr. Carreira,” Conroy said.

San Francisco Firefighters Association president John Hanley said Friday that an elected member of the union's executive board will represent Carreira in his hearing before the Fire Commission. The City Attorney's office will represent the Fire Department, Conroy said.</p>

Hayes-White said the six department members who had been at the station the night of May 20 cooperated in the investigation. “They were very remorseful that they didn't do the right thing and report it appropriately,” she said. “People make mistakes, they move on from their mistakes, but I want to let people know that this type of behavior is unacceptable”

Bay Area NewsLocal

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

The City has struggled to conduct outreach in some neighborhoods as it works to expand Slow Streets — such as this section of Page Street in the Lower Haight — to underserved neighborhoods. <ins>(Jordi Molina/Special to S.F. Examiner)</ins>
SFMTA delays vote on Bayview Slow Streets, approves five others in ‘underserved’ areas

SFMTA struggles to conduct outreach in neighborhoods with lower internet access

Stern Grove Festival organizers are planning to bring back the popular summer concert series — The Isley Brothers show in 2019 is pictured — with limited audience capacity. (Ming Vong/S.F. Examiner)
Indoor shows won’t be flooding SF stages soon but Stern Grove might be back in June

While San Francisco Mayor London Breed announced that live performances may resume… Continue reading

San Francisco Giants pitcher Johnny Cueto  (47) started on Opening Day against the Colorado Rockies at Oracle Park on April 9, 2021. (Photography by Chris Victorio | Special to the S.F. Examiner).
Giants welcome fans back with strong performance by Cueto

By Ethan Kassel Special to S.F. Examiner ORACLE PARK — The first… Continue reading

James Harbor appears in court after he was arrested on charges in the July 4th shooting death of 6-year-old Jace Young on Friday, Jan. 8, 2021. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Murder case heads to trial over killing of 6-year-old Jace Young

Hearing reveals new details in ‘horrific’ Fourth of July shooting

BART passengers may see more frequent service by this fall. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
BART service increases possible as soon as September

Proposal would double weekday, daytime trains and extend system operating hours

Most Read