San Francisco has seen a 17 percent dip in the number of car break-ins reported in the first three months of 2018 compared with this time last year, Mayor Mark Farrell and police Chief Bill Scott announced Thursday.
The mayor and chief attribute the decline in reported auto burglaries to recent efforts from the San Francisco Police Department, including the doubling of foot patrols around The City and a public education campaign advising the public to not leave valuables in vehicles.
Farrell and Scott did not release the number of auto burglaries so far this year, but police crime data shows San Francisco had recorded 1780 auto burglaries as of the end of February — a 27 percent decrease over that time last year. The City recorded more than 30,000 car break-ins in 2017.
“We are making significant progress addressing car break-ins, but we will not rest on our laurels—we know that there is a ton of work left to do,” Farrell said in a statement. “We will continue to pursue targeted solutions until every one of our residents and visitors can park their cars with confidence and security.”
Scott also announced Thursday that the SFPD would train three dozen officers at each of the district police stations to test for fingerprints tied to car break-ins. A larger database of fingerprints could help SFPD track serial auto burglars.
“By requesting that their vehicles be fingerprinted, auto burglary victims can help our investigators develop leads on these types of cases,” Scott said in a statement.car break-inscompstatCrimeFarrellscottSFPD