SF promises to keep city IDs of undocumented immigrants private

SF promises to keep city IDs of undocumented immigrants private

San Francisco city officials will not hand over the personal information of undocumented immigrants if the federal government requests it under incoming President Donald Trump, Mayor Ed Lee said on Wednesday.

While San Francisco leaders are preparing for the possibility that Trump will cut all federal funding for sanctuary cities, the mayor is turning his attention toward protecting information that city workers have collected from undocumented residents who have applied for municipal identification cards.

“[San Francisco] is committed to protecting the rights of immigrants and their families living in our communities and will take the necessary steps to ensure those rights,” Lee said in a statement.

While the information collected is limited, Supervisor John Avalos said that the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement could use the private information to “track down family members” and boost deportation efforts.

“We should brace ourselves for an invasion of privacy,” Avalos said. “The resident has the card, but The City probably has paperwork and private information that the federal government, ICE could use to widen their net.”

It’s unclear how the federal government could compel San Francisco to release the information.

San Francisco has recorded the names, dates of birth and emergency contact information of more than 21,000 residents who have received an SF City ID Card since 2009, according to the Office of the County Clerk. The cards were designed as a way for undocumented residents to have proof of their identity and access to various city services.

“The information we ask for is simply proof of residence and there is an extremely limited collection of information,” the County Clerk’s office said in a statement, noting that addresses are not stored. “We honor and protect the rights privacy of our residents.”

With the mayor’s announcement, San Francisco is following in the footsteps of New York City, where city leaders have vowed to withhold from the federal government information collected from municipal identification cards.

New York is reportedly considering deleting the information collected through the program. The Mayor’s Office would not say whether San Francisco has considered the same.

Regardless, City Attorney’s Office spokesperson John Cote said San Francisco is bound by law to keep the names and other private information from the program confidential “to the maximum extent permitted by applicable laws.”

Trump’s plans for stricter immigration controls present a quandary for sanctuary cities like New York and San Francisco, where law enforcement agencies are limited in their cooperation with federal immigration authorities.

Trump wants to build a wall between the U.S. and Mexico and institute mass deportations. San Francisco, in comparison, passed a ballot measure last week that allows undocumented parents to vote in school board elections.

City officials still have to figure out how Proposition N will be rolled out in terms of registering undocumented immigrants to vote, but nonetheless the measure will likely place another source of their information in San Francisco’s hands.

“There’s going to be many places where people’s private information is going to be stored,” Avalos said. “Everyone wants their information to be private and not to be used in an investigation against them.”

“We should be able to live up to that despite the rhetoric of the Trump presidency.”

Politics

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

District Attorney Chesa Boudin announces charges against former SFPD Officer Christopher Samoyoa in the 2017 fatal shooting of Keita O’Neill at a press conference outside the Hall of Justice on Monday, Nov. 23, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
DA Boudin charges fired SFPD officer with manslaughter over fatal shooting

Ex-Officer Christopher Samayoa to face criminal charges in killing of Keita O’Neil

The area near the Castro Muni Metro Station is expected to be affected by construction work on the Twin Peaks Tunnel, with lane closures on Market Street and some loss of parking. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Construction on Twin Peaks Tunnel to begin November 30

Area around Castro Muni Station will see greatest impacts including lane closures on Market Street

(Genaro Molina/Pool/Los Angeles Times/TNS)
Newsom calls latest surge of COVID-19 cases ‘unprecendented’

By Eli Walsh Bay City News Foundation California’s latest surge of COVID-19… Continue reading

Dr. Barbara Ferrer, director of the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, during a news conference on March 10, 2020. (Myung J. Chun/Los Angeles Times/TNS)
LA County suspends outdoor dining at restaurants as coronavirus surges

By Alex Wigglesworth Los Angeles Times Los Angeles County public health officials… Continue reading

Renderings of the main entrance to upcoming Mission Bay elementary school on Owens Street. (Courtesy photo)
SFUSD offers first look at planned Mission Bay elementary school

San Francisco school officials this month unveiled the design of a planned… Continue reading

Most Read