Police stand guard outside George Washington High School in San Francisco’s Richmond District on May 20, after the school was placed on lockdown following a bomb threat. (Ekevara Kitpowson/Special to S.F. Examiner)

Police stand guard outside George Washington High School in San Francisco’s Richmond District on May 20, after the school was placed on lockdown following a bomb threat. (Ekevara Kitpowson/Special to S.F. Examiner)

SF police clear bomb threat that prompted high school evacuation

San Francisco police have cleared the bomb threat that prompted the evacuation of a high school in the Outer Richmond early Friday, but have not made an arrest.

A caller phoned in the threat to George Washington High School around 9:10 a.m. and the campus was, as a result, evacuated in “an abundance of caution,” said San Francisco Police Department spokesperson Officer Giselle Talkoff.

The school was rendered safe around 11:30 a.m., police said.

Talkoff said a bomb squad geared up to clear the building about an hour after the threat was called in.

The school is located on 32nd Avenue between the busy corridors of Geary Boulevard and Balboa Street.

Washington High was previously shut down monetarily because of a bomb threat in May, when police brass said an erratic man threatened to blow up the school.

It’s unclear if police have made an arrest in that incident.

This is a breaking news story. Check back here later for updates.
bomb threatCrimeeducationGeorge Washington HighSan Francisco PoliceschoolSFPDSFUSD

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

District Attorney Chesa Boudin announces charges against former SFPD Officer Christopher Samoyoa in the 2017 fatal shooting of Keita O’Neill at a press conference outside the Hall of Justice on Monday, Nov. 23, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
DA Boudin charges fired SFPD officer with manslaughter over fatal shooting

Ex-Officer Christopher Samayoa to face criminal charges in killing of Keita O’Neil

Dr. Barbara Ferrer, director of the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, during a news conference on March 10, 2020. (Myung J. Chun/Los Angeles Times/TNS)
LA County suspends outdoor dining at restaurants as coronavirus surges

By Alex Wigglesworth Los Angeles Times Los Angeles County public health officials… Continue reading

Renderings of the main entrance to upcoming Mission Bay elementary school on Owens Street. (Courtesy photo)
SFUSD offers first look at planned Mission Bay elementary school

San Francisco school officials this month unveiled the design of a planned… Continue reading

James Coleman (Courtesy Morgan McCarthy)
Young progressive set to shake up South City

The 21-year-old is the newest Councilmember for District 4

Arturo Mendez, co-curator of the Mission Arts Performance Project, invites artists of all types to participate in the free-wheeling community program. <ins>(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
Mission Arts Performance Project could be poised for a comeback

Before the pandemic, the Mission Arts Performance Project, the roving multimedia art… Continue reading

Most Read