San Francisco water official say funny tasting and smelling water reported in The City this week is safe to drink. (Courtesy photo)

San Francisco water official say funny tasting and smelling water reported in The City this week is safe to drink. (Courtesy photo)

SF officials pinpoint source of unusual odor and taste in drinking water

San Francisco water officials have located the source of a harmless chemical that gave drinking water in The City a funny taste and odor this week.

When operators with the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission last week changed the source of some of the drinking water consumed by the agency’s 2.6 million customers, an aromatic compound called geosmin lingered in the water and was somehow not flushed out when the water was treated at the Sunol Valley Water Treatment Plant.

That chemical is believed to have originated in the San Antonio Reservoir, which the SFPUC began drawing from prior to the first reports of a funny odor or taste in the water on Dec. 2, said Steve Ritchie, the SFPUC’s assistant general manager for water.

About 85 percent of the drinking water consumed by SFPUC customers comes from the Hetch Hetchy Reservoir, and the agency receives the remaining 15 percent from five other Bay Area reservoirs on a rotating basis.

To mitigate the funny odor and taste, the SFPUC is switching to a reservoir on the Peninsula as a drinking water source and expects the issue to dissipate within a week.

Ritchie emphasized the water is safe to drink.

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Giants second baseman Donovan Solano scores on a double in the seventh inning against the Dodgers at Oracle Park on July 29. (Chris Victorio/Special to The Examiner)
Will the Giants make the playoffs? Kris Bryant may be the answer

By Chris Haft Special to The Examiner You’d be hard-pressed to find… Continue reading

Tiffany Carter, owner of Boug Cali West Coast Creole Shack in San Francisco’s La Cocina Marketplace, was dismayed by gentrification she found when she returned to her hometown to start a business. (Kevin N. Hume/The Examiner)
SF Black Wallstreet: Helping residents build wealth, reclaim spaces they’ve had to leave

Tiffany Carter moved back to her hometown of San Francisco five years… Continue reading

A prescribed fire at Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks was conducted in June 2016 to reduce hazardous fuel loading, increase watershed health, and restore the natural fire cycle in the Redwood Canyon area ecosystem. (Photo courtesy Rebecca Paterson/National Park Service)
Experts, UC scientists discuss wildfires in the state’s riskiest regions

Wildfires are nothing new in California’s history, but the magnitude and frequencies… Continue reading

Fourth-grade students at Lucerne Valley Elementary School don masks and Western wear for a “Walk Through California” history day during in-person instruction. (Courtesy of Krystal Nelson)
Confusion over mask mandate for California schools sparks tension between districts and parents

By Diana Lambert EdSource Shifting rules around mask mandates at schools are… Continue reading

Steven Buss, left, and Sachin Agarwal co-founded Grow SF, which plans to produce election voter guides offering a moderate agenda. (Kevin N. Hume/The Examiner)
Grow SF: New tech group aims to promote moderate ideals to political newcomers

Sachin Agarwal has lived in San Francisco for 15 years. But the… Continue reading

Most Read