School district to pen list of budget cuts

Parents and community members are expected to flood community meetings tonight and later this month as a Burlingame school district decides how to cut nearly $1.13 million from the budget.

The Burlingame Elementary School District will hold a special board of trustees meeting tonight to formulate a list of budget reductions. The trustees will vote on a list of cuts at their May 27 meeting.

The cuts to the district, which has four elementary schools, a middle school and more than 2,300 kids, represent more than 5.6 percent of the budget.

“It just makes my stomach churn to think about the amount of cuts we’re going to make,” said parent Christine Seeley, president of the district’s fundraising organization. “It’s hugely troubling.”

A recent community survey of 939 Burlingame residents showed that the major areas in which parents were most willing to see cuts were media technology and music.

The areas that residents said they most wanted to avoid the budget ax were class sizes and teacher salaries.

The district has already exhausted its revenue-raising ideas, Superintendent Sonny Da Marto said.

It earns more than half a million dollars each year from a $104 per parcel tax passed in November 2004. It also received $675,000 in donations last year, mostly from parents.

The cuts come as the direct result of Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger’s proposed $4.8 billion slashing to California schools next year, Da Marto said.

Parent Jill Goldsmith, who has two kids at Lincoln Elementary School, said she was worried that her children will miss out on a well-rounded education if programs such as music and library are put on the chopping block.

“For many kids, that’s what they like most about school,” Goldsmith said.

The meeting will be held tonight at 6 in the Burlingame Intermediate School auditorium.

mrosenberg@examiner.com

Bay Area NewseducationLocal

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

City Administrator Naomi Kelly said Wednesday that the allegations against her husband were “based on the word of a liar.” (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
City Administrator Naomi Kelly takes leave after feds charge husband

High-ranking official under scrutiny over 2016 China trip

High school seniors Shayla and Kayla Bryant receive guidance from 100% College Prep around college admissions. (Courtesy photo)
High school seniors juggling college applications and distance learning

In a final year of high school spent largely online, seniors are… Continue reading

Lyft, owner of the Bay Wheels bikeshare program, stands to receive more than $300,000 in a legal settlement with The City. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Supervisors to weigh $330,000 settlement with Lyft over bikeshare dispute

If approved, deal would resolve an 18-month long legal battle over San Francisco’s e-bike market

The J Church train could begin running again later this month on at least part of its surface route. (Mira Laing/Special to S.F. Examiner)
First Muni trains will return to service Dec. 19

Three additional bus routes coming back online in January

Stanford defensive end Thomas Booker recently was one of Pac-12’s Football Players of the Week. <ins>(Pac-12 Screenshot)</ins>
College Football Preview: Oregon at Cal, Stanford at Washington

Cal plays final home game, Stanford plays second of three road games to end regular season

Most Read