Sandoval drives proposal to tow illegal limousines

Limousine drivers illegally stealing fares from taxi cabs in The City, a problem that authorities say is rampant, could have their wheels swept from under them.

Supervisor Gerardo Sandoval said he plans on introducing legislation in the coming weeks that would allow law enforcement to tow any limo illegally operating in The City.

For years, cab drivers have complained that limousines have been dipping into their livelihood by stealing fares illegally. And with the recent increase in cab fees, gas prices and the number of cabs on city streets, the complaints have increased, according to authorities.

Complaints includes hotel doormen receiving cash in exchange for putting guests into limos and limo drivers removing their license plates so they cannot be ticketed or reported.

Under state law, limousine operators can only carry passengers by prearrangement. But they have been known to prowl city streets and illegally pick up people on the street or illegally wait in hotel taxi stands, according to police and cab drivers. Law enforcement currently faces restrictions when it can tow illegal limos, such as only if the driver had received a citation for the offense in the last year, among others.

“Cabdrivers have been begging you for ages to try and figure out what can we do to solve this problem,” cab driver Barry Taranto told a Board of Supervisors committee Thursday during a hearing on limos illegally picking up passengers.

Sandoval, who requested the hearing, said he wants to “eradicate the illegal limousine practices here in San Francisco.”

jsabatini@sfexaminer.com

Bay Area NewsGovernment & PoliticsLocalPolitics

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

School board members Gabriela Lopez (left) and Alison Collins (right) say they have been the subject of frequent hateful, racist and sexist attacks during their time on the school board. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F Examiner)
Angered by Lowell decision, SFUSD grad targets school board members with violent imagery

Facebook page depicts two women of color on board with swastikas and x-marks on their faces

Supervisor Sandra Lee Fewer, a former school board member, said it was ‘ridiculous’ that the school district did not yet have a plan to reopen. <ins>(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
Supervisors demand SFUSD set a timeline for reopening

Pressure grows on district to resume in-person learning as The City’s COVID-19 case count goes down

“Tenet,” the new Christopher Nolan film starring John David Washington, is showing at the drive-in in Concord. (Courtesy Warner Bros.)
Drive-ins are popping up all over the Bay Area

There are pandemic-era options for movie lovers who want to watch outdoors

The San Francisco International Arts Festival will present performances this weekend outdoors at Fort Mason, including on the Parade Ground, Eucalyptus Grove and Black Point Battery. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SF International Arts Festival wins health department approval for weekend performances

Rules allow no more than 50 people at outdoor Fort Mason performances

In this handout image provided by the California Department of Corrections, convicted murderer Scott Peterson poses for a mug shot March 17, 2005 in San Quentin, California. Judge Alfred A. Delucchi sentenced Peterson to death March 16 for murdering his wife, Laci Peterson, and their unborn child. (California Department of Corrections via Getty Images/TNS)
Prosecutors to retry penalty phase of Scott Peterson trial

2003 discovery of Laci Peterson’s body led to sensational high-profile murder trial of husband

Most Read