The San Francisco man accused of trying to woo two teenage girls in Millbrae last year was found guilty by a jury on Thursday of six felony counts related to the incident, San Mateo County District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said.
Marlon Monton Jr, 28, approached two teenage girls on their way to Taylor Middle School just after 8 a.m. on Dec. 16. He drove up to them in a black SUV and handed them a note that said “hook me up” with his phone number before he drove off.
The girls alerted their principal who in turn alerted police. A San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office detective then posed as one of the girls and texted Monton arranging a meeting.
Monton agreed to bring marijuana and beer to the encounter. The meeting was held in a Kohl’s parking lot and when Monton arrived, he had beer and a bottle of “Hot & Sexy Lotion,” Wagstaffe said. He was then placed under arrest.
After deliberating for three days, the jury returned a guilty verdict on six of the felony charges Monton faced. He was acquitted of two misdemeanor charges.
Monton was found guilty of two felony counts of attempted lewd act on a child under 15 and with a 10 years difference of age, two felony counts communicating with a minor for the purpose of engaging in a lewd act, and two felony counts of arranging and going to a meeting place for the purpose of engaging in a lewd act with a minor, Wagstaffe said.
Monton will return to court Sept. 15 for receipt of the presentence report and sentencing.
Prosecutors asked that Monton be held on a no bail status but the court denied that request, Wagstaffe said. The court did raise Monton’s bail from $200,000 to $500,000 and he remains in custody.Bay Area NewsCrimeCrime & CourtsMarlon MontonSan Mateo County District Attorney's OfficeSteve Wagstaffe