San Carlos to spend $250,000 on pipeline consultants

Justin Sullivan/Getty Images

The San Carlos City Council has authorized spending $250,000 to hire consultants to help investigate the safety of a PG&E gas pipeline that runs through the city.

In a unanimous vote at Monday night’s meeting, the council approved the expenditure, which will add private consultants to a team of investigators from the California Public Utilities Commission and PG&E who are examining PG&E’s records related to Line 147, a 3.8-mile natural-gas transmission line that runs beneath Brittan Avenue.

San Carlos Vice Mayor Mark Olbert said the consultants will help evaluate PG&E’s pipeline records and safety test results in order to determine if Line 147 is safe and can be returned to service.

San Carlos city leaders began questioning the safety of the line after receiving internal PG&E emails that showed that PG&E engineers had raised concerns in November that the pipe was thinner than indicated in PG&E records and had showed corrosion.

The CPUC last week ordered the San Carlos line to be taken out of service until a full safety investigation could be conducted.

PG&E maintains that Line 147 has gone through extensive testing as recently as 2011 and remains safe to operate.Bay Area NewsMark OlbertPeninsulaSan Carlos pipeline

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Dr. Vincent Matthews, superintendent of the San Francisco Unified School District, said Tuesday that student would not be back in school before the end of this calendar year. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Superintendent: City schools will not reopen before the end of the year

San Francisco public schools won’t reopen to students for the rest of… Continue reading

A Muni-inspired prop bus stands near Ghirardelli Square as Marvel Studios films scenes for its upcoming movie, "Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings," on Tuesday, Oct. 20, 2020. (Samantha Laurey/Special to S.F Examiner)
Marvel Superhero film now shooting in San Francisco

It’s the first feature film to return to The City since the pandemic

The admissions process at the academically competitive Lowell High School is set to change this year due to coronavirus restritions. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Lowell’s selective admissions process put on hold this year — and more changes may be in the works

School board votes unanimously to use normal student assignment lottery for competitive school

San Francisco has failed to reduce traffic deaths enough to meet its Vision Zero goal. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
San Francisco not on track to meet Vision Zero goals by 2024

Hamstrung by state laws, dwindling budget and limited resources, SFMTA tries to chart path forward

San Francisco will allow bars selling drinks, and not food, to begin serving customers outdoors under health guidelines going into effect next month. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SF becomes first Bay Area County to move to least restrictive COVID-19 category

Change to ‘yellow’ will allow more indoor dining and fitness, reopening non-essential offices

Most Read