AP file photoAn explosion in San Bruno in 2010 was caused by neglect on the part of PG&E

AP file photoAn explosion in San Bruno in 2010 was caused by neglect on the part of PG&E

San Bruno residents question PG&E's liability claim in pipeline blast

The utility company responsible for last year’s deadly pipeline explosion on a quiet suburban street in San Bruno announced Tuesday it’s claiming financial liability.

However, residents affected by the blast say that’s not enough, and many still think PG&E needs to pay for what it did to the neighborhood. Residents said they plan to hold the company responsible for punitive damages by pursuing their original lawsuits.

PG&E Co. President Chris Johns said in a statement that he hopes the announcement will allow affected families to “receive compensation sooner, without unnecessary legal proceedings.”

“We are affirming our commitment to do the right thing in our response to this accident,” Johns said.

The announcement Tuesday comes as company attorneys prepare for a hearing regarding more than 90 civil lawsuits filed against PG&E in San Mateo County court.

A trial date has been set for July 23, 2012, but attorneys for the plaintiffs and the San Francisco-based company are still trying to bring the various lawsuits to trial as a group.

The National Transportation Safety Board in August blamed the utility for the blast following a yearlong investigation. The board condemned PG&E for a “litany of failures” that led to the Sept. 9, 2010, incident. On that day, a 30-inch pipeline exploded, creating a firestorm that killed eight people and destroyed or damaged dozens of homes.

The extent of the damage is one reason the July trial and lawsuits will remain, said attorney Frank Pitre, who is representing victims. Other reasons, Pitre said, include PG&E’s conduct and decisions it made leading up to the blast.

“They ignored that they had a defective pipe in the ground and placed profit over safety,” Pitre said. “Even if PG&E admits it is at fault, it doesn’t change one iota of what will be on trial in July.”

San Bruno Mayor Jim Ruane said Tuesday that PG&E’s actions will speak louder than the company’s words.

“Chris Johns told me he was assuming full responsibility and liability for the incident,” Ruane said. “He wants to make residents and this city whole. Only time will tell, but hopefully it will be a lot shorter this time.”

Bill Magoolaghan, who lived on Claremont Drive and whose home was uninhabitable for more than a year after the blast, said PG&E’s admission is not enough. He said it is a ploy to not be held liable in the criminal sense.

“They’re shifting the burden to us to make us prove we should get punitive damages,” Magoolaghan said. “It’s a game.”

akoskey@sfexaminer.com

 

Previous compensation

In the days after the San Bruno blast, PG&E promised to set aside $100 million in a “Rebuild San Bruno” fund to provide assistance to the community, which is separate from residents’ lawsuits. About one-third of that had been paid out as of September.

$7M Paid to residents for property damage and medical bills

$5M Paid to programs focused on rebuilding

$21M Paid to the city of San Bruno and other government agencies

$33M Total paid out so far

Source: PG&E

Bay Area NewsLocalPeninsulaPG&ESan Bruno

Just Posted

Epic Cleantec uses soil mixed with treated wastewater solids to plants at the company’s demonstration garden in San Francisco. (Photo courtesy of Epic Cleantec)
This startup watches what SF flushes – and grows food with it

Epic Cleantec saves millions of gallons of water a year, and helps companies adhere to drought regulations

San Francisco Giants manager Gabe Kapler congratulates San Francisco Giants first baseman Darin Ruf (33) in the dug out after hitting a home-run in the 5th inning against the Washington Nationals at Oracle Park on July 9, 2021. (Christopher Victorio/Special to The Examiner)
How Gabe Kapler sets the tone for Giants success with strategy, mindset

‘There’s no doubt in my mind that he’s the hands-down manager of the year’

The Kimpton Buchanan Hotel in Japantown could become permanent supportive housing if The City can overcome neighborhood pushback. (Kevin N. Hume/The Examiner)
San Francisco leaders must reject NIMBY discrimination against homeless housing

By San Francisco Examiner Editorial Board “We support supportive housing. But just… Continue reading

The 49ers, opening with a win against the Lions in week one, play the Eagles. (Courtesy 49ers)
NFL Week 2 predictions: Our picks against the spread

By Emmanuel Morgan New York Times Last-second field goals. Teams flooding the… Continue reading

“Ticket to Ride,” on view at RVCA’s Haight-Ashbury store, is made up of artistic renderings of Muni tickets. (Courtesy Optimist Williams)
Celebrating pre-tech SF through Muni transfer tickets

‘Ticket to Ride’ exhibit presents public transit as art and equalizer

Most Read