S.F. Wi-Fi deal disconnected, Newsom reports

Mayor Gavin Newsom confirmed Wednesday that the deal he championed to create a free, citywide wireless Internet system is dead — but he said he’s not giving up on the dream of providing universal Wi-Fi to San Franciscans.

Earlier this week, EarthLink announced that it was cutting 900 jobs and closing four offices, including its office in San Francisco. The Atlanta-based company’s new chief executive officer also announced that EarthLink, which had reached a deal with city officials to provide wireless Internet service, would likely move away from any new municipal Wi-Fi projects.

Although San Francisco’s deal with EarthLink had been signed, it had not been approved by the Board of Supervisors, which was scheduled to hold a hearing on the proposed contract in September. The company was also reviewing amendments to the contract proposed by Board of Supervisors President Aaron Peskin that would have required a boost to the minimum connection speed, reduced the contract length and increased privacy protections.

Newsom, who announced the deal in January, blamed the lost deal on delays from the Board of Supervisors.

“San Francisco missed an opportunity in February and March of passing the deal,” Newsom said. “That would have required EarthLink to perform, but we missed that window of opportunity and that’s the reality, the difficulty we had getting that through the board.”

The mayor said he hasn’t given up on the idea of bringing free Wi-Fi to The City, however. A new solicitation to providers, called a Request for Proposals, will go out as soon as possible, according to the mayor.

“This is a disappointment, but it’s not a denial,” Newsom said. “We’re going to fast-track the development of a new RFP based on all the work that’s already been done.”

Supervisor Tom Ammiano, who has advocated that The City forego a private partnership in favor of a municipalwireless Internet system, said that the mayor needs to work with the Board of Supervisors during the contract negotiations.

“There needs to be lessons learned from this; otherwise, they’ll always be doomed,” Ammiano said.

Each day until voters go to the polls Nov. 6, The Examiner lays odds on local figures beating Mayor Gavin Newsom. Check out our exclusive blog: San Francisco's Next Mayor?

beslinger@examiner.com

Bay Area NewsLocal

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Muni’s K-Ingleside line will return six months earlier than previously announced. <ins>(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
K-Ingleside train to return on May 15

Announcement comes on the heels of pressure from Supervisor Myrna Melgar

Former Stockton Mayor Michael Tubbs spoke to San Francisco’s new Guaranteed Income Advisory Group on April 16. (Courtesy SFGOV)
City launches task force to explore Universal Basic Income programs

San Francisco on Friday launched a guaranteed income task force that could… Continue reading

Demonstrators march from Mission High School towards the San Francisco Police station on Valencia Street. (Jordi Molina/ Special to the S.F. Examiner)
Vigil, march honors those killed by police

Deaths of Daunte Wright, Roger Allen and others prompt renewed calls for defunding

A Recology employee stands at the comapany’s recycling facility on Pier 96 in 2016. (Jessica Christian/2016 S.F. Examiner)
Nuru scandal: Feds charge second former Recology executive with bribery

A second former Recology executive is facing charges for allegedly bribing ex-Public… Continue reading

Kiana Williams
Stanford’s Kiana Williams drafted by WNBA champion Seattle Storm

Kiana Williams is going from one championship team to another. A senior… Continue reading

Most Read