Redwood City bar, site of shootings, garners ABC’s attention

The investigation into whether Headquarters Bar, the site of three slayings last month, serves alcohol to minors continues as residents call for the shutdown of the establishment.

The California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control investigators are interviewing witnesses and collecting evidence regarding the Second Avenue bar, which does not have a history of violations, according to ABC spokesman John Carr.

Redwood City residents Humberto Calderón Jr., 17, and Jesus Hernandez, 28, along with East Palo Alto resident Hemerenciano Mendoza, 38, were fatally shot April 14 during a fight at Headquarters. Calderón was there celebrating his 18th birthday, according to police reports.

Domingo Samuel Naranjo, 18, and Rolando Fernandez, 26, have since been arraigned in the shootings.

As the ABC investigates, police have posted extra officers near the bar and have installed surveillance cameras.

Residents who attended a neighborhood meeting Thursday said the bar is known for serving minors, according to Friendly Acres Neighborhood Association President Bonnie Miller.

Until now, locals have reported ongoing gang problems in the neighborhood, but haven’t lodged complaints about Headquarters, officer Rich Harrington said.

“There’s no track record,” Miller said. “People don’t want to bother [the police]. But if we can work with one another, we can clean up the problem.”

Since the bar changed ownership three years ago, Headquarters has remained open later and attracted a noisier clientele, according to neighbor Roxanne Dragan. Since the shootings, some locals have circulated a petition asking the City Council to take steps to close Headquarters.

“If it’s going to continue in the same capacity, with the noise and late hours, I think it should be closed,” Dragan said.

Bar representatives refused to comment on the ongoing investigation.

bwinegarner@examiner.comBay Area NewsLocalPeninsula

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Superintendent Vincent Matthews said some students and families who want to return will not be able to do so at this time. “We truly wish we could reopen schools for everyone,” he said. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SFUSD sets April reopening date after reaching tentative agreement with teachers union

San Francisco Unified School District has set April 12 as its reopening… Continue reading

José Victor Luna and Maria Anabella Ochoa, who cite health reasons for continuing distance learning, say they have been enjoying walking in Golden Gate Park with their daughters Jazmin, a first grader, and Jessica, a third grader. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Some SFUSD families prefer distance learning

Health issues, classroom uncertainties among reasons for staying home

Gov. Gavin Newsom has signed legislation intended to help California schools reopen. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Newsom signs $6.6 billion school reopening legislative package

By Eli Walsh Bay City News Foundation Gov. Gavin Newsom and state… Continue reading

Recology executives have acknowledged overcharging city ratepayers. (Mira Laing/2017 Special to S.F. Examiner)
Recology to repay customers $95M in overcharged garbage fees, city attorney says

San Francisco’s waste management company, Recology, has agreed to repay its customers… Continue reading

Most Read