Rapist cuts deal in Souty City police attack

A convicted rapist and three-strikes candidate who attacked two South San Francisco police officers last year accepted a plea agreement Monday that will drastically reduce his time behind bars.

Julio Maurico Bolanos, 47, will face a maximum of six years in state prison when he is sentenced Nov. 22. Bolanos, who has prior felony rape and assault convictions from 1982 and 1985, had faced a mandatory 25 years to life in prison for two counts of battery on a police officer.

Because the previous offenses were more than a decade old and Bolanos showed no recent pattern of violence, prosecutors dropped one of his “strikes” and a variety of misdemeanors in exchange for a no-contest plea to battering the officers, said Bolanos’ attorney, public defender Michael DeVoy.

Bolanos may also have to pay up to $10,000 in restitution and faces possible deportation back to his native Central America.

Prosecutors say the Aug. 31, 2006, attack occurred after officers Chris Devan and Christine Wesselius asked the unemployed laborer, who was loitering in front of a Grand Avenue Starbucks in South San Francisco, to move along.

Bolanos then shouted obscenities and charged the officers, knocking Devan to the pavement and causing a concussion, prosecutors said. Wesselius’ hand was injured in the scuffle before Bolanos was subdued with pepper spray. Bolanos later explained his actions by saying that no one tells him what to do, according to prosecutors.

Both officers have since recovered from their injuries. On Monday, Devan said he accepts that plea bargains are facts of life.

“Of course I’d like to see the maximum sentence, especially for a violent individual, but I completely understand what [the District Attorney’s Office] did and why they did it,” he said. “I don’t take it personally. They’ve got a job to do and there are overcrowded jails.”

tbarak@examiner.com

Bay Area NewsLocal

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Recology executives have acknowledged overcharging city ratepayers. (Mira Laing/2017 Special to S.F. Examiner)
Recology to repay customers $95M in overcharged garbage fees, city attorney says

San Francisco’s waste management company, Recology, has agreed to repay its customers… Continue reading

A construction worker watches a load for a crane operator at the site of the future Chinatown Muni station for the Central Subway on Tuesday, March 3, 2021. (Sebastian Miño-Bucheli / Special to the S.F. Examiner)
Major construction on Central Subway to end by March 31

SFMTA board approves renegotiated contract with new deadline, more contractor payments

(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Settlement clears path for all youth, high school sports to resume in California

John Maffei The San Diego Union-Tribune All youth and high school sports… Continue reading

State to reserve 40 percent of COVID-19 vaccines for hard-hit areas

By Eli Walsh Bay City News Foundation State officials said Thursday that… Continue reading

Neighbors and environmental advocates have found the Ferris wheel in Golden Gate Park noisy and inappropriate for its natural setting. <ins>(</ins>
Golden Gate Park wheel wins extension, but for how long?

Supervisors move to limit contract under City Charter provision requiring two-thirds approval

Most Read