Random-attack cases headed to trial

Two men are facing jury trials after pleading not guilty Thursday to two unrelated but random San Mateo County attacks — one on an infant and the other on anin-line skater.

Superior Court Judge John Grandsaert scheduled Ricardo Solis-Montenegro’s trial for March 17, and Jose Salvador’s trial for March 24.

Solis-Montenegro, 37, was arrested in Berkeley in July of this year after DNA on a beer bottle linked him to the April 30, 2006, attack on a female in-line skater in Foster City.

According to Chief Deputy District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe, the 32-year-old victim was skating on Cutwater Lane when Solis-Montenegro allegedly jumped from the bushes and forced her to the ground. When he allegedly told the woman he was going to rape her, she suggested they go somewhere else and asked him to help her remove her skates.

Once her skates were off, she ran away screaming and called police from a nearby residence, prosecutors said.

Solis-Montenegro faces charges of attempted rape, sexual assault, robbery for allegedly stealing the woman’s MP3 player and false imprisonment.

Salvador, 23, is accused of striking an 18-month-old child in the head with a rock April 20 as the boy was cradled in his mother’s arms at a Redwood City bus stop.

The child survived the attack but required several staples to his scalp.

Salvador could face 10 years in state prison if convicted of the four felonies he faces, Wagstaffe said.

tbarak@examiner.com

Bay Area NewsCrimeCrime & CourtsLocal

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Former Stockton Mayor Michael Tubbs spoke to San Francisco’s new Guaranteed Income Advisory Group on April 16. (Courtesy SFGOV)
City launches task force to explore Universal Basic Income programs

San Francisco on Friday launched a guaranteed income task force that could… Continue reading

Muni’s K-Ingleside line will return six months earlier than previously announced. <ins>(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
K-Ingleside train to return on May 15

Announcement comes on the heels of pressure from Supervisor Myrna Melgar

Demonstrators march from Mission High School towards the San Francisco Police station on Valencia Street. (Jordi Molina/ Special to the S.F. Examiner)
Vigil, march honors those killed by police

Deaths of Daunte Wright, Roger Allen and others prompt renewed calls for defunding

A Recology employee stands at the comapany’s recycling facility on Pier 96 in 2016. (Jessica Christian/2016 S.F. Examiner)
Nuru scandal: Feds charge second former Recology executive with bribery

A second former Recology executive is facing charges for allegedly bribing ex-Public… Continue reading

Skier Andy Padlo crosses a frozen Spicer Reservoir. (Courtesy photo)
Stormy weather tests skiers’ mettle on Dardanelle traverse

Overcoming challenges makes outings more rewarding

Most Read