Psychiatrist’s trial set for fall

A November trial date has been set for William Ayres, the former prominent child psychiatrist charged with molesting his patients, authorities said Friday, although his defense will argue for the case’s dismissal this week.

On Thursday, Superior Court Judge Norman Gatzert will decide whether the court will allow seven of Ayres’ alleged victims to testify.

Ayres’ defense attorney, Doron Weinberg filed a motion in May arguing the search warrant used by San Mateo police before they arrested Ayres in April 2007 violated his constitutional rights and patient-doctor confidentiality. Police used the warrant to obtain some 600 names of the 76-year-old’s patients, ages 11 to 17, and began calling them looking for evidence, Weinberg said.

Police used that information to find the alleged victims, and their subsequent testimony would be disallowed if the judge rules that police found them illegally.

Prosecutor Melissa McKowan’s arguments are based off of testimony from the alleged victims and not DNA or other scientific evidence, Chief Deputy District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said. Almost all of the victims named in the case planned to testify, he said.

As a result, if Gatzert approves the motion to suppress the evidence, Weinberg said he might move to dismiss the case.

“It’s a very important ruling for either side,” Wagstaffe said.

Additionally, Weinberg may have to participate in a lengthy trial for another client in Los Angeles starting Sept. 29. Weinberg, and the San Mateo County District Attorney’s Office — which both agreed on the November trial date for Ayres — will meet again Aug. 19, after Weinberg knows the status of the Los Angeles case, to determine whether the Ayres trial will be in November or postponed until January at the earliest, Weinberg said.

Ayres, who was diagnosed with prostate cancer earlier this year, is free on $500,000 cash bail after being charged with 20 counts of lewd acts with a minor under the age of 14.

The trial is expected to last several weeks.

mrosenberg@sfexaminer.com

Bay Area NewsCrimeCrime & CourtsLocal

Just Posted

ose Pak and Willie Brown at an event in 2014. 
Rose Pak and Willie Brown at an event in 2014.
Willie and Rose: An alliance for the ages

How the Mayor and Chinatown activist shaped San Francisco, then and now

City officials have informed the owners of El Farolito, a legendary taqueria that started in the Mission District, that they cannot open a new location in North Beach due to rules against “formula retail.” (Gil Duran/SF Examiner)
Free El Farolito! San Francisco’s North Beach burrito ban must not stand

San Francisco reaches new level of absurdity with ban on famed burrito spot

San Francisco supervisors are considering plans to replace trash cans — a “Renaissance” garbage can is pictured on Market Street — with pricey, unnecessary upgrades. (Kevin N. Hume/The Examiner)
San Francisco must end ridiculous and expensive quest for ‘pretty’ trash cans

SF’s unique and pricey garbage bins a dream of disgraced former Public Works director

Giants right fielder Mike Yastrzemski is pictured at bat on July 29 against the Dodgers at Oracle Park; the teams are in the top spots in their league as the season closes. (Chris Victorio/Special to The Examiner)
With playoff positions on the line, old rivalries get new life

Giants cruised through season, Dodgers not far behind

Golden Gate Park visitors may take a survey about options regarding private car access on John F. Kennedy Drive, which has been the subject of controversy during the pandemic.<ins> (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
Your chance to weigh in: Should JFK remain closed to cars?

Host of mobility improvements for Golden Gate Park proposed

Most Read