Prosecutors offer plea deal to alleged serial bank robber

An alleged serial bank robber accused of terrorizing customers and putting a gun to a teller’s head was offered a plea deal by San Mateo County prosecutors.

Deputy District Attorney James Wade confirmed that an offer was made to 26-year-old Erkan Gohran on Monday but declined to disclose its details.

Gohran is charged with six counts of felony bank robbery stemming from two holdups at Citibank branches in Foster City and San Carlos last year. He faces 10 years on the San Mateo County charges and is also facing prison time from two other alleged robberies in Santa Clara County, Chief Deputy District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said.

Prosecutors believe the robbery spree began Nov. 21, when Gohran, a San Mateo resident and chef at an Italian restaurant in Millbrae, allegedly walked into the Foster City bank and demanded that all customers lie on the floor. When the victims assumed he was joking, Wagstaffe said, a masked Gohran held a gun to a teller’s head before making off with $15,369.

On Dec. 30, the masked and armed robber struck again in San Carlos, ordering a manager to the floor before stealing $22,201. Gohran was arrested days later during a Citibank robbery in Santa Clara. He admitted to the San Mateo robberies but told police he used a toy gun, Wagstaffe said.

Wagstaffe called Gohran’s conduct “extremely dangerous.”

“This is not flipping a note to the teller and quietly walking out. Takeover robberies are a power and control thing. You’re not just trying to get the money, you’re taking pleasure in instilling fear in dozens of people,” he said.

Gohran is expected to return to San Mateo Superior Court on Thursday, where he will either take the deal or the case will be scheduled for trial.

tbarak@examiner.com

Bay Area NewsCrimeCrime & CourtsLocal

Just Posted

California Highway Patrol officers watch as Caltrans workers remove barricades from homeless camp sites as residents are forced to relocate from a parking lot underneath Interstate 80 on Monday, May 17, 2021. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
San Francisco’s broken promise to resolve homeless encampments

‘There is an idea that The City is leading with services, and they are not’

The Department of Building Inspection, at 49 South Van Ness Ave., has been mired in scandal since since its creation by voter referendum under Proposition G in 1994. (Courtesy SF.gov)
The Department of Building Inspection, at 49 South Van Ness Ave., has been mired in scandal since its creation by voter referendum under Proposition G in 1994. (Courtesy SF.gov)
Whistleblowing hasn’t worked at San Francisco’s Department of Building Inspection

DBI inspectors say their boss kept them off connected builders’ projects

FILE — Mort Sahl on Nov. 10, 1967. Sahl, who confronted Eisenhower-era cultural complacency with acid stage monologues, delivering biting social commentary in the guise of a stand-up comedian and thus changing the nature of both stand-up comedy and social commentary, died on Tuesday, Oct. 26, 2021, at his home in Mill Valley, Calif., near San Francisco. He was 94. (Don Hogan Charles/The New York Times)
Legendary local comedian dies at 94

By Bruce Weber NYTimes News Service Mort Sahl, who confronted Eisenhower-era cultural… Continue reading

Sharon Van Etten (left) reached out to Angel Olsen about working on a song and they ended up releasing “Like I Used To,” which may be performed at Outside Lands. (Photo by Dana Trippe)
Performers’ emotions are high as Outside Lands returns to San Francisco

Festival features Sharon Van Etten and Boy Scouts alongside The Strokes, Lizzo and Tame Impala

Most Read