Police say man stole beer from port, sold it to stores

A Daly City man tried to spread the high life after stealing a truck full of beer from the Port of Oakland, authorities said.

Carlos Passalacqua Demartini, 37, is accused of casing a 40-foot cargo trailer loaded with $10,000 of Corona beer from a secure yard at the Port of Oakland in January, San Mateo County Deputy District Attorney Morley Pitt said.

“We don’t know how many cases were stolen, but it was a tremendous number,” Pitt said.

What the alleged thief may not have realized at the time was that the beer wasn’t just standard Corona: it was liter-sized Corona labeled in French, intended for a cruise ship possibly destined for Canada, Pitt said.

The distinctiveness of the bottle labeling led a California Highway Patrol cargo theft task force to search through liquor stores in San Francisco, he said. Sure enough, about four days after the cargo trailer disappeared from the port yard, 13 cases were sold to a liquor store in the Tenderloin, he said.

A store employee identified Demartini as the man who sold them the beer, Pitt said, and the CHP team quickly procured a search warrant for his residence and van in Daly City.

Though they did not find the beer there, they did find a laptop that had been stolen in San Francisco in late December, Pitt said. Officers also found stolen property from parts of six separate cargo thefts from the last few months, Chief Deputy District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said.

Demartini may have been part of a cargo theft ring operating throughout Northern California, Pitt said.

He said another Daly City man, Eutimio Rodriguez, has also been arrested by CHP’s cargo theft team, though he couldn’t elaborate on the charges.

Demartini was charged with the possession of stolen property and appeared at a preliminary hearing at the South San Francisco Municipal Court on Monday. He is scheduled to appear in Redwood City’s Superior Court on March 11. San Francisco and Alameda County district attorney’s offices may also file charges against him, Wagstaffe said.

Demartini is being held on $60,000 bail and has no prior record, Pitt said.

kworth@examiner.com

Bay Area NewsCrimeCrime & CourtsLocal

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Temporary high-occupancy vehicle lanes will be added to sections of state Highway 1 and U.S. Highway 101 through The City including Park Presidio Boulevard to help keep transit flowing as traffic increases. (Photo by Ekevara Kitpowsong/Special to S.F. Examiner)
Transit and high-occupancy vehicle lanes coming to some of The City’s busiest streets

Changes intended to improve transit reliability as traffic increases with reopening

Tents fill up a new safe camping site in a former parking lot at 180 Jones St. in the Tenderloin on Thursday, June 11, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Proposal for major expansion of safe sleeping sites gets cool reception in committee

Supervisor Mandelman calls for creation of more temporary shelter sites to get homeless off streets

Demonstrators commemorated the life of George Floyd and others killed by police outside S.F. City Hall on June 1, 2020.<ins></ins>
Chauvin verdict: SF reacts after jury finds ex-officer guilty on all charges

San Franciscans were relieved Tuesday after jurors found a former Minneapolis police… Continue reading

San Francisco Unified School District Board member Faauuga Moliga, right, pictured with Superintendent Vincent Matthews on the first day back to classrooms, will be board vice president for the remander of the 2121 term. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Faauuga Moliga named as school board vice president to replace Alison Collins

The San Francisco school board on Tuesday selected board member Fauuga Moliga… Continue reading

Legislation by Supervisor Rafael Mandelman would require The City to add enough new safe camping sites, such as this one at 180 Jones St. in the Tenderloin, to accomodate everyone living on the street. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
City would create sites for hundreds of tents under new homeless shelter proposal

Advocates say funding better spent on permanent housing

Most Read