Police mum about stabbing that puts 2 men in hospital

An attack in the Mission Terrace neighborhood early Sunday morning that police said could have been a random act left two men in their 20s with several stab wounds.

The incident occurred just before 2:30 a.m. when the two men were walking near Norton and Mission streets and were approached by one or more people carrying knives.

Police on Sunday revealed minimal details surrounding the violence. They stated that the men were seriously injured but were expected to survive. No suspects had been arrested.

“The victim was walking and the victim got stabbed multiple times by unknown suspects. … Weapon-type: knife,” police spokesman Officer Albie Esparza said.

Police on Sunday also did not reveal any distinct suspect description or what a motive for the attack could have been.

“It’s still under investigation,” Esparza said.

Despite the incident happening shortly after the two late-night bars in the area closed, Pete Whitcomb, who owns nearby Pissed Off Pete’s bar, said he does not believe the suspects were part of an after-pub crowd.

“We get people from around the neighborhood in here … regulars,” Whitcomb said. “[Crime] was bad here for a while, but we don’t get too much of it anymore.”

Crime statistics from the San Francisco Police Department show Whitcomb’s observations are correct. Police at the Ingleside Station have seen a 10 percent decrease in the number of violent crimes in the area. Last year at this time there were 921 such incidents, but the number now is closer to 840.

kkelkar@sfexaminer.com

Bay Area NewsCrimeCrime & CourtsLocalSan Francisco

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

School board members Gabriela Lopez (left) and Alison Collins (right) say they have been the subject of frequent hateful, racist and sexist attacks during their time on the school board. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F Examiner)
Angered by Lowell decision, SFUSD grad targets school board members with violent imagery

Facebook page depicts two women of color on board with swastikas and x-marks on their faces

Supervisor Sandra Lee Fewer, a former school board member, said it was ‘ridiculous’ that the school district did not yet have a plan to reopen. <ins>(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
Supervisors demand SFUSD set a timeline for reopening

Pressure grows on district to resume in-person learning as The City’s COVID-19 case count goes down

“Tenet,” the new Christopher Nolan film starring John David Washington, is showing at the drive-in in Concord. (Courtesy Warner Bros.)
Drive-ins are popping up all over the Bay Area

By Amelia Williams Bay City News Foundation Anyone else catch the “Grease”… Continue reading

The San Francisco International Arts Festival will present performances this weekend outdoors at Fort Mason, including on the Parade Ground, Eucalyptus Grove and Black Point Battery. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SF International Arts Festival wins health department approval for weekend performances

Rules allow no more than 50 people at outdoor Fort Mason performances

In this handout image provided by the California Department of Corrections, convicted murderer Scott Peterson poses for a mug shot March 17, 2005 in San Quentin, California. Judge Alfred A. Delucchi sentenced Peterson to death March 16 for murdering his wife, Laci Peterson, and their unborn child. (California Department of Corrections via Getty Images/TNS)
Prosecutors to retry penalty phase of Scott Peterson trial

2003 discovery of Laci Peterson’s body led to sensational high-profile murder trial of husband

Most Read